• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Hello from south korea.

sculd

hjlim
Hello nice to meet ya

Hello. I am an math. undergraduate in KAIST and I focused my study on physics as well (I took most physics course, classical mech. electro magnetism, quantum mech. statistical phy. ...).

After finishing my senior year, I am working as a software programmer for my military service for about 2 1/2 years. (Every south korean male citizens should fulfill their millitary duties)

That experience of making commercial software changed my mindset. Frankly I had hated application/money related things when I studied in undergraduate school. But now I recognize that this world is full of chances and taking thoses is nothing to be ashamed of or blamed.

Anyway, I read a book 'My life as a quant' and that book fascinated my mind, especially the author, Emanuel Derman was once a particle physicist (the most hardcore field in physics) and I am seriously considering change my area.

I will apply for graduate schools in USA this year, and I did some search for Financial Engineering programs. My concern is that there are few programs that offer FE ph.d, instead most FE programs offer MS only.

Anyway nice to meet you all and I hope I can share useful information for you, and me ;)

Have a nice day.

There aren't many FE PhD programs because PhD is thesis oriented. There aren't many schools that have faculty who can supervise FE dissertations. Plus, the purpose of PhD is to educate future professors so they can advance science and teach students, not get their degrees and go make a lot of money :) But you can do PhD in Physics, that might look even better.

Back