• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering.
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job.
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models.

Help! 2020 Ivy UG, Sanity Check on 2021 MFE?

Background:
Primarily finance. I have a weak math background (Calculus I) and limited programming experience (some Python, VBA, and SQL). My UG performance (3.5 cumulative, 3.7 major) shows significant improvement with time. I have been conducting research under one of my professors since graduating.

Prep Plan:
Taking courses through the University of California system to meet the prerequisite requirements for a variety of MFE programs and applying for Fall 2021. I would prepare for and take the GRE ASAP. A potential schedule would look something like this:

Fall: Linear Algebra, Calc II for Engineers, Java I
Winter: Calc & Analytic Geometry, Mathematical Reasoning, Calc-Based Probability and Statistics, Java II
Spring: Basic Data Structures & Object-Oriented Design, Intro to Probability, Intro to Differential Equations, Vector Calc

Questions:
Does anyone know if these courses, which would be through the continuing education initiative on different UC campuses and not part of a degree program, would be looked upon poorly? Would I be considered for contingent admission if many prerequisite courses are in progress when I submit my application? Does anyone have alternative suggestions for meeting the prerequisite requirements?

Essentially, am I potentially a competitive candidate? I would really like to do this, but I do not want to go on a wild goose chase.

Last edited:

Onegin

C++
Questions:
Does anyone know if these courses, which would be through the continuing education initiative on different UC campuses and not part of a degree program, would be looked upon poorly?
No, provided you received letter grades from an accredited university. I did the same thing, and was admitted to 3 top programs.
Would I be considered for contingent admission if many prerequisite courses are in progress when I submit my application?
Maybe check w some of the programs? I applied to several schools while my pre-req work was in progress. Some were willing to take a risk and admit me before I had grades, others ***cough***CMU***cough*** were not.

Does anyone have alternative suggestions for meeting the prerequisite requirements?
Sounds like you have it down. I would add summer classes as well to the mix. Consider the C++ program online here instead of the university ones - it's more practical. With your extra time, load up on mathematical statistics, linear algebra, analysis. I wish I would have done analysis, I struggle through a lot of the proof stuff right now.
Essentially, am I potentially a competitive candidate? I would really like to do this, but I do not want to go on a wild goose chase.
No one can promise you a positive outcome, and it's a hard and shitty thing to try to switch careers. The only justification I can tell is to have a deep intrinsic motivation and aptitude for the problems in quant finance. The competition is fierce, and the industry is changing rapidly.

YankeesR

C++
Yeah no problem. What was a question you had, anything in particular? Maybe it was something that was brought up in the meeting. If not, I can go over some of the common questions that we're asked.