• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Help me out on choosing which path to go please

Hi folks,
This idea came to me just hours ago, and I wish to hear some thoughts from you guys.
I'm in the final year of college(double majors in finance and financial math, 4 classes away from BS degree in finance, but due to special interests in quantitative field, should I take more classes in Math? say typology, real&complex analysis, abstract algebra etc.? these are not required by my current track to follow. In that case, there's no way I could finish the 4 finance classes left since I'm also taking on some C++ classes plus some stat ones. Just want to hear from you, which one is a more responsible choice for my career? The rest finance classes seem to be easy and no very useful plus I've passed CFA I exam already. Very puzzled....

typology=topology I guess? There are people who would give you better pieces of advice but I would say topology and abstract algebra are not relevant to financial mathematics. I am not sure about complex analysis. On the other hand if you are not going to gain much of a knowledge from the finance course go with the math ones for sure!

typology=topology I guess? There are people who would give you better pieces of advice but I would say topology and abstract algebra are not relevant to financial mathematics. I am not sure about complex analysis. On the other hand if you are not going to gain much of a knowledge from the finance course go with the math ones for sure!
Thank you Adt, sorry for the typo, but not taking the rest of the finance classes would mean I won't get the degree in finance, need to think about if it is worth the previous efforts myself...

adt is right, topology, abstract algebra, complex analysis are not immediately relevant or needed for MFE education should you choose to go that path later. I haven't read much about their use in practice too.
You best bang for the money would be on those C++ and stats courses.
Thank you andy, I'll take your advices on programming and stats, I'm taking several c++ classes in school and I'm looking forward to quantnet's online course too!!

I have seen on a lot of MFE schools websites that students should have taken Real Analysis, Linear Alg, DE, Calc based Stats, and maybe PDE.

I have seen on a lot of MFE schools websites that students should have taken Real Analysis, Linear Alg, DE, Calc based Stats, and maybe PDE.
Thanks Dw, I've taken all of these except for real analysis, which will take soon... not sure if other advanced courses will be helpful too...

Back