• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Help!! Which program has better placement? Gatech vs Chicago?

I wonder which one to choose, QCF @ gatech or MSFM @ Chicago?

I hope to find a job in U.S. after graduation. I know that both programs are not among the top MFE list, but I have to choose between these two. Does anyone know which program has better career placement? I appreciate your help!!

Besides, here is my understanding of the two programs:

Gatech:
Advantages: 1. comprehensive courses in finance, mathematics and programming
2. 1.5 years, can find internships
3. It is said that part of the students can find jobs in Atlanta. Gatech has good reputation in Atlanta.

Disadvantages: the rank is lower than chicago. Financial industry seems to care a lot about the reputation of universities.

Chicago:
Advantages: 1. high rank, good reputation
2. geographical advantages, financial center, more opportunites than in Atlanta.

Disadvantages:
1. teaching quality is said to be not very good
2. courses are more theoretical, focusing on mathematics.
3. 1 year, cannot find internships
4. nearly no career service

Which one should I choose? Hope for advice! Thanks!

Have you tried to contact alum/current students through linkedin, searched through this forum and/or talked to the program to get their placement information??
You need to go to the program that is the "best fit" for your future goals

@Afina,

As mentioned by atreides, you have to choose the program that fits you the best. But just a couple quick points -
- A friend of mine graduated from the GT QCF program and was able to get into a prop trading firm in Chicago (but he is a US citizen). From chatting with him, firms do recruit from GT, but they are not your well known BB...
- At one point in time, I thought about applying to the MSFM program in Chicago (went there for a wedding, and loved the city) but decided against it since my perception at the time was that the program was going through a lot of changes. The uncertainty wasn't something I liked, especially with so many other outstanding programs out there.

Good luck on your decision!

@ atreides & Forze,
Thanks so much for the advice!

I don't have good working experience so that I am afraid that I can't find a job after graduation from Uchicago.
As for Gatech, I am OK to work in firms which are not well known banks. I just hope to find a job in U.S. after graduation. It is good to start from level jobs for me.

@Afina,

You might still want to chat with each program and its alum to get a feel what the job market is like out of those schools for non-US citizens. In other words, more research the better.

Another thing to consider, Atlanta is a lot cheaper and just as fun. My family lives there and I went to undergrad around there.

@Forza

Thanks! You are really nice!

I am trying to contact current students from both programs. :)

@Afina,

Thanks, just trying to help in any way I can. The goal of QNet is really to share information with others so they can make better decisions, and I just try to follow that rule.

But Chicago does have a better name than GT in the finance circle, so another thing to keep in mind.

Here is my reason. You are trying to do a Quantitative Finance degree. In the US the biggest hubs are Chicago and NY. Life will be easier if you work in those places. Don't go to Atlanta if you think that's the hotbed for quantitative finance, it is not.

Back