• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE Hold status from Berkeley | Next steps

Which round did you apply ?

I submitted my application in Jan, was told that I am on hold in March and was given a set of tasks to do (including pre-program courses, taking a PDE course, C++ course, taking CFA level 1). Although I was planning to do most of their recommendations, there was not much I could do at that very moment since the pre program course are offered next year, CFA level 1 is in December and the courses I wanted to take were offered only in the Fall semester in my area.
After about 2-3 months without me sending me any updates to them they told me that Linda (the program director) wants to interview with me and she told me that I am accepted during the interview but she still wants me to do all of the items they told me before.

MY UNDERSTANDING is that hold means they want you but they want to see if they get better applicants. Not sure how it translates if you are a round 4 applicant since most of their seats are already taken.

if you really want to get into any MFE program I suggest you doing what they ask you to do. It will only make your resume stronger. You may have to wait and re-apply next year but if you complete all of the pre-program courses your chances of getting in next year are very high.

Hope this help ...

Hi, thank you very much for answering, I hope I could run with the same luck you did and meet you in the program. I applied during the 4th round. They also asked me to take the pre-prog courses and some additional courses. I'm going to take the pre-prog courses and I'm looking to take the other courses they recommended about PDE, C++, Matlab and Nummerical Analysis. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find these programs in my country and I'm looking to take some online courses but I don't really know which are the accredited institutions they refer to. The only difference is that I didn't receive any invitation for interviews but as well as you said I would have to wait for some more time. How did you prepare for the interview? Best wishes and regards.

Its not luck, trust me ;)

You can contact the MFE program via email and ask them what institutions they recommend for taking online courses. They are usually very helpful.

I assume you have already done one interview which is with a current student and very technical ?

The second interview with Linda is not technical and its more about you as a person, your plans, why UCB, etc.

No, I have not been interviewed, that's the strange thing. Actually I have already reached them they are very kind and helpful.

Hi,

I just received a letter from the admission committee at Berkeley saying that they have put me on a 'hold' status for the academic year 2017-18. At the same time, the letter also says that
'we are ready to guarantee that we will recommend you for admission for the 2018‐19 MFE
Program.
' It goes on to say 'Our guarantee of admission is contingent on your reapplication to the program and also on your successful completion of some conditions' . These conditions include taking their pre-program courses among other things.

Now my question is this: What does this exactly mean? It seems that they don't really intend to test me further by taking my 2nd interview (I had 1 interview before this which was decent) . But what confuses me is that if they are willing to take me in next year, then why did they not put me on 'waitlist' status for this year and give me a chance to get in this year itself? Also, is it mandatory for me to fulfill these conditions or are they just recommended?

Hoping someone would be able to shed more light on this. Of course, I intend to talk to the admission office as well to get a little more clarity.

Hi,

I just received a letter from the admission committee at Berkeley saying that they have put me on a 'hold' status for the academic year 2017-18. At the same time, the letter also says that
'we are ready to guarantee that we will recommend you for admission for the 2018‐19 MFE
Program.
' It goes on to say 'Our guarantee of admission is contingent on your reapplication to the program and also on your successful completion of some conditions' . These conditions include taking their pre-program courses among other things.

Now my question is this: What does this exactly mean? It seems that they don't really intend to test me further by taking my 2nd interview (I had 1 interview before this which was decent) . But what confuses me is that if they are willing to take me in next year, then why did they not put me on 'waitlist' status for this year and give me a chance to get in this year itself? Also, is it mandatory for me to fulfill these conditions or are they just recommended?

Hoping someone would be able to shed more light on this. Of course, I intend to talk to the admission office as well to get a little more clarity.

Hi Sonic - the best advice we can offer you is to contact us directly. This actually goes for anyone who has questions about her or his status or the admissions process . Each candidate's situation is unique and we are happy to spend time with any candidate to discuss your status and your preparation plan and answer any questions you might have. We are here, 9 AM - 5 PM Pacific time at mfe@haas.berkeley.edu or +1-510-642-4417.

Back