• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How do intl students in NYC MS programs (NYU, Columbia, Baruch) do in terms of job placement?

So I have decided that I would apply to all the MS programs in NYC to increase my chances. The question is do intl students (non-Canadian) do well in terms of job placement after graduation? I am an international student and went to Johns Hopkins University as an undergraduate student, graduated with a GPA of 3.61 in Economics. The only reason I want to do MS in Financial Math/Financial Engineering/Math Finance is so that I can get to work on Wall Street. Thanks!

have you tried to get a job in Wall Street?

have you tried to get a job in Wall Street?

well i know it's tough to get a job on Wall Street that's why I want to do an MS to increase my chances. The only problem is I have zero experience because I thought I was deadset on going to med school after I graduated from college. Now I realized that medicine is truly my thing and I wanna use my econ/math background to my advantage.

To answer your question
Link to Baruch placement stat Masters in Financial Engineering (MFE) - Baruch College
Link to CMU placement stat
69% of the class of 2009 (graduating Dec. '08) were employed by graduation,
80% within three months of graduation.
Careers - Recruiting : Tepper School of Business
Recruiting Partners 2008 - 2009 : Tepper School of Business
I'm not aware of any online data for NYU and Columbia

Those are the official sources. I'm aware of unofficial rumor of difficulty for international students but it's impossible to verify.

Thanks a lot Andy! Are/Were you a student at Baruch? If so, are/were any of your classmates international students? I might email each of the school and ask for contact of international students to see if they have a hard time finding jobs or not. These MS programs are really expensive and it's only worth it for me if I can find a job after graduation.

A good percentage of students in these programs are int'l so the situation isn't unique to any program, regardless of location, tuition, etc.
Add the TARP limit to the situation and it was hardest period for MFE graduates to find a job. You certainly should contact each program and learn more about their placement service and what they have done to help their students. Many graduates end up going back home to get a job.
Tuition is expensive so don't bet on a guaranteed job. On the bright side, it will get better when you graduate.

Back