• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to become a quant without a strong maths background

jsc

Hi,

I studied Economics at the University of Cambridge. At the time I didn't plan ahead for my career, so I didn't particularly care for Maths. I also had a terrible Maths supervisor, so dropped it after first year, where I did not do too well in my Maths/Stats exam (2.ii in Maths and 2.i in Stats).

However, I increasingly am drawn to the work of quantitative analysts. I realise this requires an advanced understanding of probability, calculus and statistics, but I do not know how to 1) get this understanding and 2) prove I have it so that universities I apply to are confident I can handle the mathematical component of my Masters. To be clear I covered probability, calculus and statistics in my Bachelor's degree, but I doubt it was in sufficient depth to prepare me for a MFE for example.

How do you recommend I proceed? Should I do some online courses to improve my mathematical proficiency? Are there MFE courses which are more suited to training people in advanced mathematics?

Ben Garling used to be at Cambridge and probably the three volumes of his analysis book were and are being used for Parts 1 and 2 in DPMMS. Work through that book. It's better than most American texts.

You can do the pre-MFE courses as well from Baruch/Berkeley that cover the intermediate to advanced level stuff.
And go through the recommended readings in the course.
This should be enough to prepare for the MFE.

Back