how to fine lost code files??

snowywsh

C++ Student
@APalley Hi,
I am just about to submit my level 2 assignment just now. however, luckily I open every exercise again and checked. I found my 1.9.2 is lost, all the source files and header file is empty. I don't know how this happened, but except for the code files, other files which I don't know what their functions are, are still there, and the .exe file is still there and usable (when it is started, it produce a text file as the code is designed to).

So, I am wondering whether there is way to find my code through these files. Or, can it submit the .exe to show my code works well? Otherwise I will need to redo this work. Please let me know. Thank you.

Daniel Duffy

C++ author, trainer
In your trashcan?
Or maybe just misplaced?
The files should still be in your project??

On Windows (use lower case 'i')

findstr /s /I class *.hpp etc.

Follow on: make regular backups.

APalley

@APalley Hi,
I am just about to submit my level 2 assignment just now. however, luckily I open every exercise again and checked. I found my 1.9.2 is lost, all the source files and header file is empty. I don't know how this happened, but except for the code files, other files which I don't know what their functions are, are still there, and the .exe file is still there and usable (when it is started, it produce a text file as the code is designed to).

So, I am wondering whether there is way to find my code through these files. Or, can it submit the .exe to show my code works well? Otherwise I will need to redo this work. Please let me know. Thank you.
Submitting exe files will not be adequate. Your grade is almost entirely on your code, not the executable.

I'd recommend searching your pc for the files. If they're gone, unfortunately you will have to redo.

snowywsh

C++ Student
In your trashcan?
Or maybe just misplaced?
The files should still be in your project??

On Windows (use lower case 'i')

findstr /s /I class *.hpp etc.

Follow on: make regular backups.
Hi Dr. Duffy,
It is not in the trashcan, I did not delete those. It is just when I open that solution to check before submission, the source files are all empty(files are still there, but no content), but the solution runs. I don't know how this happens and why the solution runs without code.

snowywsh

C++ Student
Submitting exe files will not be adequate. Your grade is almost entirely on your code, not the executable.

I'd recommend searching your pc for the files. If they're gone, unfortunately you will have to redo.
I see. Thank you. Will redo that.

Daniel Duffy

C++ author, trainer
Hi Dr. Duffy,
It is not in the trashcan, I did not delete those. It is just when I open that solution to check before submission, the source files are all empty(files are still there, but no content), but the solution runs. I don't know how this happens and why the solution runs without code.
What happens if you rebuild project (compiles files?) Maybe it's this?

Daniel Duffy

C++ author, trainer
What about clean build and then rebuild all?
Debug vs Release differences?\

Is your project corrupt?

Maybe you 'minimised' the code (+ symbol)

Last edited: