• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

how to get an entry-level intern in trading or quant

interested in positions like trading assistant and quant, but dont know what to do to get those sorts of positions. im glad to hear someone give me any advice!

1. High School
  2. Bachelor's in Mathematics. Minor in Finance/Computer Science
  3. An internship or job in quantitative finance
  4. CFAs (Optional)
  5. Master's in Financial Engineering (Phd in Applied Math first if you wish to do research)
  6. Internship in quant-type job
  7. Done! ;)

... did I miss something?

1. High School
  4. CFAs (Optional)
  5. Master's in Financial Engineering (Phd in Applied Math first if you wish to do research)
  7. Done! ;)
Crap I'm only on step 2 :(

1. High School
  4. CFAs (Optional)
  7. Done! ;)

I must say, that is such a complete how to. Thanks so much! LOL

Anyways, is Phd in Applied Math really the only way? Although I am still doing my undergrad stuff, I'm probably going to go for a Phd in Pure Math before financial engineering. Would that seriously hinder my marketability?

Hmm. Someone who is more knowledgeable should speak up but I don't think it would make a difference. But "hinder"? Certainly not.

Just a question: Why Phd before MFE? Do you specifically want to do research?

1. High School
  4. CFAs (Optional)
  7. Done! ;)

thx a lot. btw, do you have any tips about how to get the FIRST intern in quantitative finance. getting my first intern in quantitative field is sort of hard.

My suggestion (which I am certain many people will argue is not a good one) would be to first take an internship at a non-quant related finance job. That's what I did to brush up my resume. I worked on the equity side of an investment bank.

You can easily get into an MFE program with non-quant related experience as long as you show promise.

My suggestion (which I am certain many people will argue is not a good one) would be to first take an internship at a non-quant related finance job. That's what I did to brush up my resume. I worked on the equity side of an investment bank.

You can easily get into an MFE program with non-quant related experience as long as you show promise.
you mean like equity analyst that kind of things, right. well, the job market is not well and i think ill just keep trying till i get it.

Hmm. Someone who is more knowledgeable should speak up but I don't think it would make a difference. But "hinder"? Certainly not.

Just a question: Why Phd before MFE? Do you specifically want to do research?

I have a lot of passion for pure mathematics namely in the areas of analysis and number theory. I would really like to contribute something to one of those areas via my Phd thesis even if it is oh so little and oh so insignificant. Classes in advanced calculus and ode are fun and all but when they are theory based, I enjoy it that much more.

I have no problem filling in a quant research role. I just can't imagine filling in a research role in academia due to the fact that I have to mix in teaching into my schedule. It isn't that I don't want to teach. I'm just the kind of person who wouldn't give partial credit on anything so people would hate me. lol.

The fact is that there is so much I want to learn but so little time... Honestly, to get my Phd is good enough for me. But to be able to obtain an MFE and break into quant finance afterwards so that I can apply all the maths I've ever learned? No insult to the holy ones out there but I don't need to go to church to go to heaven. I'm already there.

Thanks for listening to my life story. LOL

Interesting! Most people have one goal. You seem to have two. I guess you have more time to kill than the rest of us ;)

I have a lot of passion for pure mathematics namely in the areas of analysis and number theory. I would really like to contribute something to one of those areas via my Phd thesis even if it is oh so little and oh so insignificant. Classes in advanced calculus and ode are fun and all but when they are theory based, I enjoy it that much more.

I have no problem filling in a quant research role. I just can't imagine filling in a research role in academia due to the fact that I have to mix in teaching into my schedule. It isn't that I don't want to teach. I'm just the kind of person who wouldn't give partial credit on anything so people would hate me. lol.

The fact is that there is so much I want to learn but so little time... Honestly, to get my Phd is good enough for me. But to be able to obtain an MFE and break into quant finance afterwards so that I can apply all the maths I've ever learned? No insult to the holy ones out there but I don't need to go to church to go to heaven. I'm already there.

Thanks for listening to my life story. LOL

u r welcome... ORZ

The easiest way to get an entry level intern in trading is the following:

1. ivy league undergrad
2. exceptional at networking

ohhhh woooow, look at the last couple of words - he/she misspelled 'resume'

Back