• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to self-study?

Hello, folks. I will be 30 but I want to be a quant. And I don't have any background on math ,finance and computer. What is my first step? I study calculus on-line right now... is it right? And should I solve all problems in textbook?

Good question, broad but good. I´ve worked for 11 years at Product Control in a Equity Derivatives Desk and I want to have, at least, a basic knowledge to discuss the subject internally.

quantstart.com might have some answers. Eventhough I don't really see the point. You will have a very hard time getting to an equal level of somebody who is now 18 and starting a BSc in Math or CS.

Hello, folks. I will be 30 but I want to be a quant. And I don't have any background on math ,finance and computer. What is my first step? I study calculus on-line right now... is it right? And should I solve all problems in textbook?
What is your background if I may ask?

math ,finance and computer.
Kind of essential, at least one I suppose.

quantstart.com might have some answers. Eventhough I don't really see the point. You will have a very hard time getting to an equal level of somebody who is now 18 and starting a BSc in Math or CS.
Or even younger.

"Academic approach" to solve a skill/career deficit at 30 is a bad strategy..young kids can put years through school because the risk/reward ratio is in their favor. It can be done in 1-3 years of intense prep (depending on your commitment level & guidance) but at what cost? The employer is not going to make a distinction between a 33 yr old and a 23 yr old in the end though. Wouldn't it be better leveraging your existing strengths and building on top of it. If you want to get a hang of the markets you can always get an FT subscription and trade on some brokerage account at your own risk.

What is your background if I may ask?

math ,finance and computer.
Kind of essential, at least one I suppose.
Thx for reply. I study in environmental engineering. And I go to army after I graduate from university. So... I has forgotten what I had learnt. I have some knowledge about C and Java. So, is that too late to be a quaint?

"Academic approach" to solve a skill/career deficit at 30 is a bad strategy..young kids can put years through school because the risk/reward ratio is in their favor. It can be done in 1-3 years of intense prep (depending on your commitment level & guidance) but at what cost? The employer is not going to make a distinction between a 33 yr old and a 23 yr old in the end though. Wouldn't it be better leveraging your existing strengths and building on top of it. If you want to get a hang of the markets you can always get an FT subscription and trade on some brokerage account at your own risk.
Thanks for replying. If I going to get a master in FE or RM , is it worth? I consider the budget will be not afford my life in master program.

Thx for replying. I know the time is hard, and my friends doesn't think that will be successful. I has surfed on quantstart.com . It is helpful but its reading list is too long. My reading list is calculus, linear algebra, probability, static, and stochastic calculus. That's all. Or get master is more effective ?

Good question, broad but good. I´ve worked for 11 years at Product Control in a Equity Derivatives Desk and I want to have, at least, a basic knowledge to discuss the subject internally.
Thx for replying. Sorry about this question : what is basic knowledge ?

It is never too late to learn something new. According to me, you should start with the basics of finance, and then you can move on to maths and programming. Few of the topics which are important in maths are linear algebra, statistics, probability etc. And then you can move on to programming as you already have some idea about it. You can start practicing to code the mathematical models and basic trading strategies at the beginning, then move on to advanced concepts like machine learning.

30 and no maths? it doesn't get easier. It might be a bit late for you.

It's going to suck but, the good news is, it all depends on you.

I would do a 3 years bachelors in math/physics, possibly online, at a reputed university, learn finance by yourself. It is not too late, but it will cost you.

I guess the best would do the Columbia certificate in quant finance and then I heard if you do well you have a better chance at getting to the ms program. It’s the expensive way to go but it’s a way.

I actually think math is a subject which is good for self-study. some fields like chemistry, biology, physics, you cannot learn the most important things just from books. You need to do experiments and discuss results/details with peers/teachers/advisors. However, for math, you can learn the subject only from books. The authors are speaking to you via those carefully selected/designed problems. Of course, this isn't an easy route, but is doable. My undergraduate has nothing to do with any math, and I've got a PhD in applied math. I taught myself math subjects by working though all the problems in math books.

Mathematics is an ideal subject for self-study, if you really want to learn it. Learning math is like practicing yoga. You practice it every day, then you will start to see your progress gradually. However, no matter how hard you try, how long you practice, there are always some problems you can never solve and there are always some math genius can easily solve those hard problems. So let go of the ego and enjoy the process. Good luck.

Last edited:
So I don't really understand the concept of too old. Ok, yes, you would be enrolling for a course which is taken by 18-year-olds and thus, the pay after the course might not be great.

Understand why you want to be a quant and I think that would give you more clarity if you want to devote yourself to a full-time course and let go of the salary which you are drawing right now.
For example, even I am just starting out. I enrolled for some free online courses on Quantra to test the waters and see if I am able to understand and make time for it.

But as they say, know the purpose you want to be a quant and the number of sacrifices you can make for it. I think that will make your job easier

I have personally been a staunch follower of Quantra and it's courses. I really liked it solely coz of the pricing, the beautiful animations, interactive exercises and all. Though I've done courses from a lot of other self-learning platforms, it was just standard videos and narrations, which didn't appeal to me much.

Back