• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

i cant take it!! ISSC

to ISSC: Why dont u show a checklist to us at first????? what u do is only see our material and then say, we still need to submit.... why didnt tell us u need two-whole year's funding at first, why didnt tell us u treated differently as to parents' bank account and student's own? why r u so reluctant to reply the email?

i wasted two weeks to follow their unclear direction and still havent got my i20. i understand every school has its own policy, BUT i see all my friends applying other school's i20 do it so EASILY!!! my parents have got tired of providing those statements again and again!!!!

if i missed my booked VISA date in the middle of MAY, i have to quit everything!!! i have no other choices!!!!

- I just got my admission letter this morning. Nobody has ever told me the exact amount before (2-years expense), even through email.
- I have no idea why ISSC require property certificates like stocks, houses, in addition to $58000 bank deposit under the name of parents. Also they never reply emails within 1 week. Again, they didn't reply my email even after I called them up yesterday and asked her favor to reply my email. I'm afraid of ISSC denying my application for I-20 again! I don't want to miss my reserved VISA date!!! There will be a long holiday in China, and Fedex, UPS, etc. will not work during the holiday, if ISSC don't confirm with my email within this month.

Take a deep breath,Vic. Inhale, wait 3 seconds, exhale... :)
If they let me run the ISSC dept, then things like this will never happen, right ? ;)

If you have any trouble with other depts, send the Director/Cathy/Nelisa an email.
The people at ISSC never sees this message so venting here isn't gonna get the paper faster. Maybe after you blow off some steams, walk away for few minutes, come back and will feel much better ;)
if i missed my booked VISA date in the middle of MAY, i have to quit everything!!! i have no other choices!!!!
You know we will never let this happen to you, right ?
Also, it doesn't matter when your visa date is, you can't arrive in the US 30 days before school officially starts - late August (if the current DHS rule still applies). So you have plenty of time to get your visa.
You should enjoy time with your family and friends while you can, you may not see them for a long long time :)

Vic and Yiping,

I'm sorry that you have to go through all this. Send an email to the Director of the program. I'm sure he will do every thing in his power to resolve this issue.

As Andy said, venting in this web site is not going to do much since we are just students in the program. Take a deep breath and be patient. You'll see that everything turns out to be Ok at the end.

Vic_Siqiao, I feel sorry to hear about that, and I can understand your frustration. (I myself went through this kind of situation before...6 years ago when came to US for the second masters degree in Ohio. I did actually go to the bank for three times for financial statements). One thing I want to tell you is that, relax. Nothing is the end of the world...maybe you may miss this appointment for visa interview, but you can call for another one. Just enjoy the happy days staying with families.

Just so you know: Quantnet is run and financed by MFE students, alumni and some nice prospective students...not an official website sponsored by the school, it's a student forum. It's a community for us to communicate, learn, discuss and share. It's indeed no use and no help to vent here. The best thing to do I suggest is calm down and contact Director Stefanica and Cathy, they are always so willing to help our students.

And take it easy, there will be more frustrating and pressure later during the course of study, job-hunting, in your future job as a quant. Life is never easy, but you can at least make yourself easy.

Good luck.

Guys Relax..
This other day i was at ISSC for some work and there was a student who wants to submit his papers for I20. Trust me I have seen them interacting. Both the parties were confused at the end. But in the end they somehow were able to communicate what needs to be done. So have patience and if in doubt call ISSC as many times as you can. Be polite and ask specific questions. I am sure they will answer.
As Yan said life is tough and this is just the starting. Welcome to the tough lands.

Good luck

Hi Vic, I'm very sorry to hear about your experience and my feeling goes out for you, I can understand what you're going through so well, because I had the same lousy experience dealing with the ISSC office this time last year. But, oh well, there's nothing we can do about that , at least immediately. But I think we should certainly voice our opinions at some stage to higher administration.

Anyway, just to recount what I did, because there's a significant uncertainty in time before ISSC issue your I-20 form, so I didn't book in for a visa interview until after I'm certain the I20 is out on its way, then your estimated for the time you get it is more certain. Though I understand now you already book in, so good luck. But don't get too stressed out in case you really can't make it, reschedule it and explain to the Visa officers what happened. Don't think that will hinder your chance for passing it. So just focus on getting things done. And be constantly on the phone with them to check things, try to call in in different time periods, as some staff there are really nasty, and if you are lucky you get a more patient one at other times , even it's a very unpleasant experience you don't ever want to do often.

Once again, good luck!

"...
Use the great resource of Weissman school to your advantage. Call or email either Cathy or Ben Rohdin, the director of Graduate Studies. I found that the people at Weissman are very good in helping us. Give them a call and explain your situation."

Ben_Rohdin@baruch.cuny.edu

"...
Use the great resource of Weissman school to your advantage. Call or email either Cathy or Ben Rohdin, the director of Graduate Studies. I found that the people at Weissman are very good in helping us. Give them a call and explain your situation."

Mr. Ben Rohdin is no longer the Director of Graduate Studies. The new Director is Dean Gary Hentzi,
Gary_Hentzi@baruch.cuny.edu

Back