• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU MSMF I need some info about NYU Mathematics Finance

hi, everyone

i need your help.

now i'm in my senior year of college. my major is Mathematics and Physics. i'm really interested in finance, and i want apply for the msmf programm in NYU or Columbia, i've found that the total cost per year would round up to $80,000 (correct me if i'm wrong). I'm a Chinese girl, and that's a big amount of money for my family. So my wonder is that whether it's worth the money? I mean, can I find a job after graduation? I'm really confused. I've heard someone said that jobs are no more that easy to find.
I'm i should follow my interest, but the money issue is really a big one. 1,so can anybody give me some job market information out there?
2, what's more, i am also worried that whether i can get AD. what should i prepare to get enrolled in the program? any advice?
many thanx.

To the best of my knowledge, NYU and UCB will have 100% placement even in the middle of a deep recession. Columbia should have 100% placement rate (they have posted decent placement stats for MFE) but in this recession, a few of the international students were not able to get jobs. But I think both are well worth the investment. You can easily get a job in Hongkong and with 12% tax rate you will be able to recover the $80,000 loan amount. CMU and Baruch also have good placement record. I think recession is over and hiring has picked up like crazy for past few months.

If you are concerned with the tuition cost, why not try applying to other schools? There was a recent post about MIT lending its students the full amount of tuition so they would not be paying anything until graduation. Also, the tuition for Baruch is lower compared with other master's programs, since it's a city university. You may consider applying to those.

Back