• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

IB Quant Risk Analyst vs Buyside Quant Trader?

I have two offers now:

1. An IB quant risk analyst offer in london
2. A buyside quant trader offer in a bad city

They offer me similiar compensation package. Although the buyside one sims to be better, the office is located at a suburban area which I don't like. Since I would want to live in a big city, the IB offer sims to be great for me as it is in london.

My career goal: a buyside quant in a big city.

I would love to know more about the opinions from everyone: which one should I take? If I take the quant risk analyst role, would that be difficult to transit to a buyside role?

Australia
Tibra Wollongong detected 😉. If yes, then it’s also not a highly regarded trading firm (anymore). You might have some mobility to the bigger firms in Sydney or Hong Kong though if you are successful there.

Moving from quant risk to buy side quant is rather uncommon. Risk roles are much less competitive, more detached from trading and experience often doesn’t transfer. There are many threads here already on this topic; see e.g. my posts Frustrated with derivatives pricing. Where else can I use my pricing skills? and Can't choose between QIS vs MO quant.

Last edited:
Back