• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Importance of UML

Sanket Patel

i do stuff
For those of you with jobs in the industry, I have the following questions about UML:

1. How important is it for one to know UML?
  2. Is UML primarily something that those with pure software\development roles use?
  3. Have you ever been asked about UML at interviews?
  4. How much, if any, UML is necessary for those outside pure software\development roles?

Most C++ books usually have a chapter dedicated to UML - I'd just like to know whether a working knowledge of it would suffice.

Yes, a working knowledge of it is sufficient, but more the better :)

I was asked about it when I went for interviews, though for software developer jobs back in India.

It is of great importance when you have to develop a big project(which you generally do in industry;any)

Ideally design part is given around 60% of total time 30% to implementation and 10% for testing purposes. This split is for a waterfall model.

For others it is similar.

Guys, what UML/Modeling Tool can you recommend? Any votes for Umbrello? Someone mentioned that Visual Studio has a built-in UML editor, but I could not find it.

Back