• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Improving Maths & Econ profile for quant masters.

Dear Quantnet members, I'd be very grateful if you could share your opinion on what is the best way to proceed for me. (Apologies for a long text).

I'm currently finishing my undergraduate Maths & Economics degree from Russia's number 1 university in finance and social sciences.

My objective, though, is to become a front office quant developer. I'm therefore going to apply to a number of universities from the top of the Quantnet ranking + two or three UK programs (e.g. Oxford Mathematical and Computational Finance).

I do feel, though, that my knowledge of mathematics and programming is not sufficient for me to be competitive as an applicant and later as a job candidate.

My maths background is as follows:
Abstract Mathematics: Group Theory, Rings and Fields, Analysis and Elements of Topology, Modules and Vector Spaces, Elements of Mathematical Logic, Introduction to Lie Groups
Calculus: Limits, The Riemann Integral, Improper Integrals (convergence/divergence, dominated convergence), Double and Triple Integrals, Ordinary Differential Equations, Laplace Transforms (solving ODEs with Laplace Transforms; Beta and Gamma functions)
Linear Algebra: Diagonalisation, Jordan Normal Form and Differential Equations, Inner Products and Orthogonality, Orthogonal Diagonalisation and its Applications, Direct Sums and Projections, Generalised Inverses, Complex Matrices and Vector Spaces
Optimisation Theory: Multi-dimensional Calculus, Constrained and Unconstrained Optimisation, Differential and Difference Equations, Optimisation Under Inequality Constraints, Kuhn-Tucker Theorem, Elements of Convex Analysis, Finite & Infinite Horizon Dynamic Programming
Financial Mathematics: Derivatives Valuation using one-period models, multi-period models, continuous-time models. Black Scholes Model, Perpetual Options.

I have not been taught partial differential equations (this seems to be a prerequisite for some of the more technical programs such as Oxford, for example).
I have no formal training / online certificates in programming (apart from a half-year course in VBA). I'm quite proficient in Stata and have a limited experience of working in MATLAB.

To fill the gaps, I have two options:
  1. A one-year option is to go through Baruch MFE's online courses in C++/Python/VBA and self-study the essential disciplines such as PDE (if it's indeed essential).
  2. A two-year option is to enroll at a Master's level Data Analysis in Applied Science program delivered by Google's local competitor, Yandex: (syllabus: https://yandexdataschool.com/edu-process/program/da). Reviews say that it is a hard-core program taught by a number of big names both from academia and industry. People also say that instead of merely teaching how to code, Yandex developed the course from first principles of mathematics/CS so that their alumni become proper data scientists and not just people with coding skills. Advantage: it's free for successful applicants. Disadvantages: takes more time => increased opportunity cost + alumni say the curriculum is really tough and painful + I would still have to fill my math gaps via self-study. So not sure about this option.
So given my objectives and background, as well as the syllabus of the 2-year program, which of the two options is optimal? Any input would be highly appreciated!

P.S.
If that's relevant, I'm about to start an 18-month internship at a bulge bracket bank in Moscow. I will have the opportunity to work at both its fixed income and equities departments, but these guys only do traditional trading and brokerage, not a lot of quant-related stuff.

Back