• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Information regarding H1B1?

Hello guys,
As a future applicant from a non-US country. I'm a bit paranoid about the MS in the USA considering the 3 years OPT and hence limited opportunities to file the H1B1.
My question is what is the general stance of the hiring finance companies after MFE, do they bother with the H1B1 filing or not?
I have heard some companies do not file the H1B1 and resulting in no choice but to leave the US after 3 years. :/
Could you please share your experience (especially the Indian community)? Thank you so much.

Very Helpful, Thx

Your best bet is with sell side institutions. I know Citadel and some of the more established hedge funds do sponsor H1Bs. So in that regards you should be fine. Once you get the H1B stamped, then you can move around in the industry and no one really gives a shit as long as you deliver (make or save money). The more worrisome aspect is the undue delay in processing of student work permits. I have heard of MIT MS CS students skipping internships because they USCIS didn't send the EAD on time. Again, my experience has been great till 2017 and it has become more random since then.

That being said, if you get an admit at top programs, do attend as you can find employment in more welcoming parts of the world.

Dont expect some two person and a bbg terminal type fund to sponsor you.

Last edited:
Back