• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Interest in Intro to Unix/Linux during January

rholowczak

Director, Wasserman Trading Floor/Subotnick Center
Folks:
I am planning to do a partial day workshop on an introduction to
UNIX and Linux during the January break. This will be done during a
week day likely from 10:00am to 3:00pm with a break for lunch.

The materials will be very introductory. The topics should include:
- Brief history of UNIX
- Brief history of Linux
- Brief discussion of Linux distributions (we will not cover how to install Linux)
- Unix/Linux file system layout and shell
- Logging in using secure shell
- Creating, modifying, manipulating files and directories
- File and directory permissions
- Basic commands (ls, ps, df, mkdir, cd, pwd, kill, top, netstat, etc.)
- Introduction to processes and memory management
- Writing, compiling and running some simple "C", C++, and Java programs.
- Writing and running some simple Perl and Python scripts.
- Creating and viewing a basic HTML page
- Creating and viewing a basic PHP page
- Other topics as they come up.

This will be a "hands on" workshop. I will create demo accounts for
participants on one of the internal Linux machines so all call follow along.

The Baruch College CIS Society students will be the main participants but I
wanted to see if any Baruch MFE students would also be interested.

Unfortunately we can not accommodate students from outside of Baruch.

Feel free to e-mail me or reply back to this note if you would be
interested. Once we nail down a date I will post again.

Cheers,

Prof. H.

I am not an MFE student, but I am an undergrad at Baruch and am interested in attending.

Erica

Intro to unix/Linux workshop January 22, 2008

Folks:
The following workshop is open to Baruch students (must have Baruch ID card to get
in the building).

Happy New Year from the Baurch College CIS Society!

Are you curious about Open Source Technology? Not sure what "Open Source" refers to? Perhaps you would like to leverage the appeal of your Resume? If you answered "YES!" to any of the above questions, come to the next CISsociety Technology Workshop (see workshop details at the end of this email and at http://cisnet.baruch.cuny.edu/ciss/linux.asp ):

Workshop: Introduction to Linux / UNIX

Led by Professor Richard Holowczak (Professor of Computer Information Systems and Director of the Bert W. and Sandra Wasserman Trading Floor - Subotnick Financial Services Center )

Date: January 22, 2008
Time: 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m (with a break for lunch)
Location: The Baruch College Subotnick Financial Services Center (The Center is located on the ground floor of 151 E. 25th street)

Register at: http://cisnet.baruch.cuny.edu/ciss/linux.asp

No prior knowledge of Linux or UNIX is required to benefit from this workshop. Due to seat limitations, registration is required at http://cisnet.baruch.cuny.edu/ciss/linux.asp

-Baruch College CISociety Staff

****WORKSHOP DETAILS****

In the Information Technology field, Unix is probably one of the most widely used operating systems in both servers and workstations. Unix comes in many flavors, one of the most common is Linux. Linux is a freely available version of the Unix operating system.

Having experience using Linux/UNIX can boost a student's professional career. Many companies working in a server environment will run on these systems and hire the candidate who has such knowledge. In addition, companies today are becoming less dependent on costly proprietary technology and using open-source technology instead (for example, Facebook uses MySQL). The workshop will briefly cover the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP). Each student will receive a UNIX Username and password for accessing the Linux system at Baruch. At the end of the day, students will learn about the UNIX directory structure, setting directory and file permissions, the UNIX Shell, how to re-direct input/output, using the Pico text editor, running a C Program, and creating a Web Page on UNIX. Below is a list of topics that will be discussed:
  • Brief history of Linux
  • Brief discussion of Linux distributions (we will not cover how to install Linux)
  • Unix/Linux file system layout and shell
  • Logging in using secure shell
  • Creating, modifying, manipulating files and directories
  • File and directory permissions
  • Basic commands (ls, ps, df, mkdir, cd, pwd, kill, top, netstat, etc.)
  • Introduction to processes and memory management
  • Writing, compiling and running some simple "C", C++, and Java programs.
  • Writing and running some simple Perl and Python scripts.
  • Creating and viewing a basic HTML page
  • Creating and viewing a basic PHP page

Back