• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Interested in both Data science and Quantitative Finance, but need advice on what to do

Hello,

So I'm interested in doing DS and Quantitative Finance. I'm currently going for a BS in CS and I can choose either Data Science or MFE. I can also pick one and take some courses in the other to gain more knowledge.

Currently I'm studying more Data Science, and want to know more about big data,parallel and distributed computing, deep learning, and cloud computing.

Should I take more MFE classes or self teach it. Also since I'm not a math major, my math is weaker compared to others, I'm going Calc I,II, and III, linear Algebra, Probability, And Statistics. What math skills should I study. Also should I spend an extra year to get a MFE in a non-top program with a masters in DS. I would have to take about 4 classes per semester.

What projects should I do relating to DS and MFE. I might do research with professors as well once I know what I need to know. I'm willing to learn anything since it's interesting to me. Sorry if some of my questions are bad. I'm currently still trying to learn and get advice.

If you're interested in both, why not take modules from both courses and go for the modules where there is heavy overlap? Those would be all the math modules you mentioned.

With regards to your question on if you should get an MFE at a non-top program after getting a masters in DS, I personally wouldn't do that but it depends on your goals obviously. Also, a masters degree in DS already opens up a lot of doors.

For a project relating DS and quant finance maybe you can participate in the CrunchDAO x AdiaLab market prediction competition: Adia Lab Market Prediction Competition

If you're interested in both, why not take modules from both courses and go for the modules where there is heavy overlap? Those would be all the math modules you mentioned.

With regards to your question on if you should get an MFE at a non-top program after getting a masters in DS, I personally wouldn't do that but it depends on your goals obviously. Also, a masters degree in DS already opens up a lot of doors.

For a project relating DS and quant finance maybe you can participate in the CrunchDAO x AdiaLab market prediction competition: Adia Lab Market Prediction Competition
So something like a DS masters with more overlapping math courses and independent projects, research, and competitions relating to quantitative Finance would work better?

Back