• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Princeton MFin Interview Tips for Princeton MFin

I haven't applied to Princeton, but you can get a general idea from the tracker applications. They seem to offer admissions on a rolling basis from Feb by the looks of it. Majority of tracker applications have their result date in the first week of March though.
You have an excellent profile, I would be waiting for my admission letter if I were you.

I haven't applied to Princeton, but you can get a general idea from the tracker applications. They seem to offer admissions on a rolling basis from Feb by the looks of it. Majority of tracker applications have their result date in the first week of March though.
You have an excellent profile, I would be waiting for my admission letter if I were you.
Thank you for the motivation mate! Has anyone received an invitation for the alumni Interview? I had asked Ms. Bracken about this and she mentioned that some admits might have one this cycle as well.

I didn't get an invite, but was informed that there is a possible (but not certain) alumni interview this year

Just for data point, I interviewed yesterday night and got an alumni interview invite today morning.

Curious whether the alumni interview on top of regular is good or bad or means people are a borderline case. any insights anyone? i know some people get in without but what does it mean for chances?

If I recall correctly Princeton invites ~100 people for the first interview and admit ~25-30 of them? I guess depending on your confidence, getting a second interview could mean anywhere between "Yay I'm close to the top 30" to "Shit I'm not among the top 10".

Curious whether the alumni interview on top of regular is good or bad or means people are a borderline case. any insights anyone? i know some people get in without but what does it mean for chances?
I think an alumni interview is generally a good thing, because based off prior years posts it seems like most people who got in had Alumni interviews. That being said Ms. Bracken hadn't even mentioned an alumni interview when I asked about it, so I either bombed it or it doesn't really matter :^)

If I recall correctly Princeton invites ~100 people for the first interview and admit ~25-30 of them? I guess depending on your confidence, getting a second interview could mean anywhere between "Yay I'm close to the top 30" to "Shit I'm not among the top 10".
I think they admit somewhere around 40 or so folks because the total class size they target is around 20-30, assuming that like 50-60% of the accepted candidates take the offer that would land around 20-30 students in the forthcoming classes, don't know how COVID is changing things though

Are the top people in the pool usually not interviewed by alumni at all?

Are the top people in the pool usually not interviewed by alumni at all?
I don't think anyone can really answer that other than those in the admission office of the program. I do seem to recall that there have been people with exceptional background who got admitted without a second interview, but of course I have no idea if they were among the top of the applicant pool or not.

I don't think anyone can really answer that other than those in the admission office of the program. I do seem to recall that there have been people with exceptional background who got admitted without a second interview, but of course I have no idea if they were among the top of the applicant pool or not.
Got it thank you. Also do you know if these alumni interviews are technical?

There was at least one candidate who had their second round interview scheduled prior to their first last year, so if that was truly the case then the alumni interview seems more like it's an additional data point for the committee (maybe if a candidate doesn't have a strong finance/quanty background, I don't really have a good intuition for this)

Last year people got in without second round interviews. That being said alumni interviews are some what technical from what I’ve heard. Think markets and stats. Also this year the director has changed so the entire admissions process could’ve changed.

Last year people got in without second round interviews. That being said alumni interviews are some what technical from what I’ve heard. Think markets and stats. Also this year the director has changed so the entire admissions process could’ve changed.
Stats as in statistics or stats as in market stats

Back