• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Princeton MFin Interview Tips for Princeton MFin

My Profile: 6 years of experience in Risk Management and Analytics with booth the sell-side as well as buy-side for a leading Asset manager. GRE: 168Q

Colleges applied: Princeton MFIn, Yale Master's in Asset Management

1. Could someone help with what can I expect from the interview session with Princeton? Would there be more than 1 round of interviews? Few pointers that I should to take care of while communicating my responses?

I had my interview this week, primarily just behavioral- supposedly there aren't any further steps in the process besides maybe a math assessment though the interviewer seemed unsure about this; Seems different from 2019 where there were alumni interviews, but could be different primarily because of COVID?

So you will have your behavioral with Mrs Collins where you’ll go over your resume, why mfin and why quant finance. After that if you do well you could or could not have a next round interview, but you don’t need the alumni interview to get into Princeton. You do need the initial however to get in.

The interviewer this year is Mrs Bracken, might be part of why my experience was a bit different from past years

Quick LinkedIn search shows she was just hired. She has much more experience in banking and trading so know the markets as well. Be able to answer basic things on the market as read the news daily. Also know some finance as well or atleast that’s what I would do if I were you

Last edited:
Haven't received anything since application submission... Does it mean a rejection?

I think I may have my Princeton interview notes somewhere, I’ll post them if I can find them. I was told I interviewed well and that if I had a higher gpa and GRE they would’ve accepted me so I’ll see what I can do
That would be a great source of information @Michsund . Thank you.

Separately, could you enlighten us about yourself. I am a newbie to this forum. Apologies.

I think I may have my Princeton interview notes somewhere, I’ll post them if I can find them. I was told I interviewed well and that if I had a higher gpa and GRE they would’ve accepted me so I’ll see what I can do
Hey Michsund, does that mean that you interviewed last year but didnt get in? Did you reapply this year? Also, do you know if invites are sent in some kind of alphabetical order (like first few letters week 1 etc) or is it on a rolling basis based on one's application?

Finally, if anyone is scheduled for a second round (alumni or technical), could you please post on this thread? Thanks a lot

Hey Michsund, does that mean that you interviewed last year but didnt get in? Did you reapply this year? Also, do you know if invites are sent in some kind of alphabetical order (like first few letters week 1 etc) or is it on a rolling basis based on one's application?

Finally, if anyone is scheduled for a second round (alumni or technical), could you please post on this thread? Thanks a lot
I interviewed round one at Princeton with Wendell and didn’t get in. I was told if I reapplies next year with higher gre and get better grades in some math classes that they would accept me, unofficially. I ended up getting into CMU and decided to go there. I don’t think the interview letters come out on different days. Round 2 isn’t necessary to get into Princeton, but if you do get one it’s a good indicator that you could be. I hope that helps

I had my interview this week and they explicitly stated that there either will not be a next step (alumni interview) this year, or if there is one, it will be some sort of assessment- not likely an alumni interview. I'm guessing the process has changed significantly with the change in leadership

Also, for what it's worth, my last name is in the middle of the alphabet so I don't think they send it on an alphabetical basis

I'm guessing they either:
a. send it as soon as they're sure they want to interview you (as they process apps)
b. or they've already reviewed all the apps, and randomly selected applications for each interview period up through mid february

Last edited:
Also, for what it's worth, my last name is in the middle of the alphabet so I don't think they send it on an alphabetical basis

I'm guessing they either:
a. send it as soon as they're sure they want to interview you (as they process apps)
b. or they've already reviewed all the apps, and randomly selected applications for each interview period up through mid february
would you say that there is still hope for those who haven’t received an interview invite?

I interviewed round one at Princeton with Wendell and didn’t get in. I was told if I reapplies next year with higher gre and get better grades in some math classes that they would accept me, unofficially. I ended up getting into CMU and decided to go there. I don’t think the interview letters come out on different days. Round 2 isn’t necessary to get into Princeton, but if you do get one it’s a good indicator that you could be. I hope that helps
CMU is great from what i've heard so congrats. What was your GRE quant out of curiosity if you don't mind me askin?

I had my interview this week and they explicitly stated that there either will not be a next step (alumni interview) this year, or if there is one, it will be some sort of assessment- not likely an alumni interview. I'm guessing the process has changed significantly with the change in leadership
Thanks for the insights on this and your last name. Did you ask for next steps for the interviewer to talk about it?

Back