• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Princeton MFin Interview Tips for Princeton MFin

1. The alumni interview is mostly another data point used to judge goodness of fit for certain candidates. I know of at least two candidates that got their alumni interview before their actual interview so don’t worry about it.

2. this test is randomly assigned

I would not fret over it, but good luck

Also, is it possible to get a deposit extension from NYU? The deadline is coming up but I want to see what other offers I get first

Also, is it possible to get a deposit extension from NYU? The deadline is coming up but I want to see what other offers I get first
By NYU, you mean NYU MFE? or the MathFin? Anyway, you can always try to ask but I don;t think anyone here can give you a definitive answer. Princeton is a better choice then both of them. If I were you, I will wait for Princeton and give up the deposit if it is absolutely needed ( I already paid that to another program BTW :( )

I think they will send it all on March 15? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Where did you get March 15th from? I think in prior years they have generally accepted candidates this following week and the first week of March.

Edit: I see that it says on their website that you will receive a response by march 15. That is consistent with prior years. I would expect for candidates to start finding out this week or the following week if they got in. (I believe Stanfords ICME, Columbia MSFEcon both follow the same timeline)

Edit2: Last year candidates knew by March 3rd (I think they found out either March 2 or the preceding weekend), prior year candidates knew by March 5th (same deal, I'm guessing this upcoming week/weekend is when everyone will know by).

Where did you get March 15th from? I think in prior years they have generally accepted candidates this following week and the first week of March.

Edit: I see that it says on their website that you will receive a response by march 15. That is consistent with prior years. I would expect for candidates to start finding out this week or the following week if they got in. (I believe Stanfords ICME, Columbia MSFEcon both follow the same timeline)

Edit2: Last year candidates knew by March 3rd (I think they found out either March 2 or the preceding weekend), prior year candidates knew by March 5th (same deal, I'm guessing this upcoming week/weekend is when everyone will know by).
Thanks a lot for the info. So, do they send out wl and rej letters around 1st week in March or only the admitted ones?

only admitted, but based off prior years I think you can just assume if you don't get the acceptance when others get it, you probably didn't get in (though maybe a WL?)

By NYU, you mean NYU MFE? or the MathFin? Anyway, you can always try to ask but I don;t think anyone here can give you a definitive answer. Princeton is a better choice then both of them. If I were you, I will wait for Princeton and give up the deposit if it is absolutely needed ( I already paid that to another program BTW :( )
NYU MSQF. Are we able to accept it and pay the deposit, and accept another university later on? (of course forfeiting the first deposit)

It seemed to me that in prior years people might have gotten unofficial acceptances prior to March. Not sure if that's right.

only admitted, but based off prior years I think you can just assume if you don't get the acceptance when others get it, you probably didn't get in (though maybe a WL?)

I have seen it mentioned in previous posts that there can be a waitlist, but it would be limited to 2-3 people... This is Princeton after all.

I finished my interview last month. I haven't got any alumni interview invitations after that. So I guess I will not receive it before I get the final decision. Hope everyone would be lucky next month!

Last edited:
Haven't heard anything since the math assessment. I guess they don't have much time for 2nd round interviews (or they have already done all of them). Hopefully results can come out earlier next week.

Just curious...will people who deferred their offers last year affect the headcount this year? I think there are 4 who took a gap...

Back