• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin Interviews for MIT MFin Fall 2014 Entrance

Hey Fellas,

I recently got an invite for an in-person interview in Paris. I live in Saudi Arabia and asking me to fly out to Paris is somewhat strange, not to mention the travel visa that usually takes up to three weeks to be processed. I have actually contacted two Middle Eastern friends who are currently enrolled in the program and they both had a Skype interview. I was thinking about contacting the Director Mr. Rod Garcia (I hear he's a great guy, btw) to see if it's possible to have a Skype interview instead of the in-person interview. If any of the previous students had a similar situation, please do share your view. We are in dire need of your help lol.

Hi, Abdullah,
May I ask when did you get the interview offer? January. 21st?

Hi Abdullah, i have a similar situation. I have to travel from India to Shanghai. The current students (and adcom) told me an in-person interview is highly recommended. They were like until and unless it's impossible to interview in person it's better not to ask for a skype interview.

Duly noted Andy (Also, thank you for this great website!)

And I agree with the current students, mfeaspirant. An in-person interview is definitely better than Skype. But given job/budget/visa circumstances, it is extremely difficult.

Guys I am so worried, I still haven't heard anything from them yet...
I wonder what does it mean ?
Anyone familiar with the MIT admission process??

I attended their chat a few days back and they said they'll be sending invites till 14th Feb. But they also mentioned that they have sent 'quite a few' invites already.

Hi , if someone got interview invitation, does that mean that the admission will no longer look at his GMAT/GPA/ , instead they will only consider the interview ?

Guys I am so worried, I still haven't heard anything from them yet...
I wonder what does it mean ?
Anyone familiar with the MIT admission process??

Don't worry!!!! If you had gotten the invitation, You would have worried about whether in person interview or skype interview, then whether u will get admitted, then whether you will picked up by Goldman Sachs of the world ....then... then. Worrying is an endless loop. Take it easy :)

Don't worry!!!! If you had gotten the invitation, You would have worried about whether in person interview or skype interview, then whether u will get admitted, then whether you will picked up by Goldman Sachs of the world ....then... then. Worrying is an endless loop. Take it easy :)

So true, this has been my life for the past few years, constantly worry about the present, the future and everything lol, I will just calm down and see what will happen!

Anyone interested in a campus tour on Tuesday and/or sharing a hotel room? I'm staying at the Omni Parker House. It takes 8 minutes to get to the Sloan building by public transit.

Got invitation for interview too ,
I am wondering , what type of questions will be ? and will they ask us to write an Essay explaining any weakness in the application ?

Hi , if someone got interview invitation, does that mean that the admission will no longer look at his GMAT/GPA/ , instead they will only consider the interview ?
Not quite. Getting an interview is assurance that you do not have a bad GMAT or GPA, as MIT will just toss those barring no exceptional circumstances in the application. But being better at interviewing doesn't mean you'll get in over the guy with a 780 GMAT and relatively poor social skills.

Last edited:
Not quite. Getting an interview is assurance that you do not have a bad GMAT or GPA, as MIT will just toss those barring no exceptional circumstances in the application. But being better at interviewing doesn't mean you'll get in over the guy with a 780 GMAT and relatively poor social skills.

Are you doing MFin at MIT now?

I think, this is a test for the applicants, the fee of their program is expensive, thus, they can check your balance by whether you can pay the fee once you get the admission. Haha.

Back