• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin Interviews for MIT MFin Fall 2014 Entrance

Had the interview yesterday on campus. It's really nice of them to organize the lunch with current students so that we can ask them a bunch of questions and get more familiar with the program.

The students kept mentioning the difficulty of courses & importance of teamwork.

Had the interview yesterday on campus. It's really nice of them to organize the lunch with current students so that we can ask them a bunch of questions and get more familiar with the program.

The students kept mentioning the difficulty of courses & importance of teamwork.

I hope at least the lunch was free. So how many interviewee's were there sharing lunch with students?

I hope at least the lunch was free. So how many interviewee's were there sharing lunch with students?
Sure it's free-that's why ppl went to interview. About 8 to 10, some of them finished their interview in the morning.

Sure it's free-that's why ppl went to interview. About 8 to 10, some of them finished their interview in the morning.

Sure! People paid 800 USD to travel across the world so that they could have a free lunch! Right ?! What are these lunches made out of btw ? Like some MIT prototype quantum computing dust or powder with an AI-human brain interface programmed with finance ?

That sounds like quite a lot of people. Do you know how many people have received interview invitations and how many spaces are still left? Thanks!

What type of questions you have been asked ?

That sounds like quite a lot of people. Do you know how many people have received interview invitations and how many spaces are still left? Thanks!

From what I can see, the Paris interviews have 40 slots. Assuming ~ 50% admission offers, I'd say 18 to 20 students who are attending will be from Europe and Middle East, which is about 10% to 15% of the entering class. The rest of the interviews are held in Boston, Shanghai, and Santiago.

The yield isn't very high. I don't know how yields differ by geographic region, but in general, 20 admission offers would not be expected to produce more than 15 matriculating students.

What type of questions you have been asked ?
All usual behavioral questions you can find in the [Resources] section of this forum. Just be yourself-the lady I interview with was very nice. You should relax and think of it as a normal conversation.

What hotels did you guys stay in when you went for the interviews???
I stayed at the Hilton in the financial district simply because I had an appointment there. Hotel itself is nice and it's convenient to get around. To save you $30 from the airport to the hotel, you can take the blue line and get off 2 stations later, and then the hotel is 2 blocks away (from google).

I stayed at the Hilton in the financial district simply because I had an appointment there. Hotel itself is nice and it's convenient to get around. To save you $30 from the airport to the hotel, you can take the blue line and get off 2 stations later, and then the hotel is 2 blocks away (from google).

Hey thanks for the info. I ended up booking a hotel in the Black Bay area and rented a car.

anyone know if they will give out early decisions before march 10 if someone got into another school?

Admit and yield rates for the last 2 years have been consistent. You can see the data and reviews there
https://www.quantnet.com/resources/mit-master-of-finance-program.9/

Speaking of reviews, I don't think we have any recent reviews from @aaronhotchner and his cohort?
MIT (in general, not just Sloan) has been... optimizing the yield and selectivity numbers for years, and I think the rule that students have to fly thousands of miles to interview may be part of their most recent strategy. Ceteris paribus, I'd expect yield numbers to increase.

I'm all for MIT optimizing their yield numbers, but not at the expense of applicants. This policy is unfair to students with more limited financial means, as well as students who are currently working. If every school did this, it would add $5K to the cost of the admissions process for ~five schools.

I'm not asking the people who come up with MFE rankings to penalize schools who do this, but I am asking them to consider adding a correction to the matriculation numbers for schools that demand on-site interviews when it comes to his rankings. Schools that allow Skype interviews, or at least Saturday interviews for working applicants, do everyone a huge kindness. One way of correcting the matriculation numbers is to look at how many students were offered interviews but did not fly out for them.

MIT is trying to optimize under constraint and they think they've found a somewhat unbounded situation for optimizing matriculation numbers reported. The only question is whether the rankers will start correcting when applicants need to fly 5000 miles for an interview, when they need to do 10,000 jumping jacks, or when they need to sign a promissory note stating that they'll pay schools $200K if they're accepted but do not attend.

@Andy Nguyen please consider a correction in the yield numbers for mandatory on-site interviews. It will result in more accurate rankings that are harder to game. More importantly, it will discourage other programs from following suit next year.

Last edited:
Looking at the tracker, I only saw applicants who applied quite late getting the interview offer now. Has anyone who applied early (before December) got their interview invites?

In their FAQ page, they explain that all applications will be reviewed after the deadline. I hardly think anyone got an interview before the deadline.

In their FAQ page, they explain that all applications will be reviewed after the deadline. I hardly think anyone got an interview before the deadline.

Hey Abdullah, did you get your UG degree back home or did you go to perhaps the UK or Canada to do it ?

Back