• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin Interviews for MIT MFin Fall 2014 Entrance

Anyone else got the interview invitation yet? And any advice from previous applicants?

I opted in for the lunch with MFin students before lunch, hope it's a good idea.

Last edited:
Hi, just received an invite to interview in person (non-US location). No where in the email was an alternative to interview by telephone/skype.

Does anyone (or Andy?) know whether MIT MFin has completely done away with telephone/skype interviews? This comes as a surprise to me as I really wasn't expecting to have to fly somewhere to interview.

I don't get any interview offer. oh my....
Did you get an interview offer via email or phone?
Thank you so much

I don't get any invite either... wondering if all the invites have been distributed or not...

Oh... I'm extremely worried about it. Has anyone call to the office to confirm whether all the invites have been distributed?

Yep, I got a similar email today, which was a big surprise for me. I am in the states, but I have to fly to Cambridge for an on-campus interview. I asked the admin about an alternative way (hoping for a phone or Skype interview), but she told me MIT recommends in-person interview for all applicants. I am currently working and I have no idea how I will manage to do this.

Don't worry too much guys. The blog says they have just started sending out invites, and will continue to do so until 14 Feb.

I'm also slightly concerned as I'm currently interning. But the biggest problem would be cost. It could cost up to USD1,000 including flight and accommodation...

Wow, seems like they've done away with skype altogether. Anyone can confirm this?
http://mitsloanadmissions.com/

Do they send the interview offer to strong candidates first?

I am not 100% sure, but that would be a logical assumption. However, I have not heard from either CMU or Princeton yet (probably rejected). I suppose each school looks for different strengths.

I'm from the SF Bay Area and thought they would have interview locations over here. I emailed Sara but she said they are only doing on campus interviews...:( frantically trying to find accommodations on airbnb now.

I'm not aware of any other MFin/MFE programs that applicants have to get a visitor visa and fly to the campus to do the interview. That's what Skype is for. I vaguely remember the admission staff travel around the world and conduct interviews for applicants in that region.
Maybe this is how they do it for the Sloan MBA applicants as well.

No offense but this is downright retarded! Its even more preposterous considering that the MIT MFin program is still not as highly regarded as it ought to be! People considering flying from India to Paris for an interview! They might as well conduct the interview in front of the Eiffel Tower!

I'm flying from Tucson, AZ to Cambridge for this interview. I'm literally pausing classes for 2 days and paying $800+ for it. I don't get it why can't they interview through Skype. I also interview with Princeton last week (through Skype).

I'm flying from Tucson, AZ to Cambridge for this interview. I'm literally pausing classes for 2 days and paying $800+ for it. I don't get it why can't they interview through Skype. I also interview with Princeton last week (through Skype).
I'm also paying $800+ including accommodations :(
But I think the main issue for me was giving my manager less than a week's notice for more than half a week off...lol don't think he's too happy about it.

I agree. Not sure what they are trying to get from an on-campus one. India-Paris indeed sounds ridiculous to me. Shout out to moretodo's comment!

I feel bad for you since you'll experience some extreme temperature changes...Winters in Boston can be quite brutal..

Back