• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Intro to MS Visual Studio

I had the opportunity to read Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010 a couple of months ago.
It is a good reading in my opinion (with much humility) as I am not a professional programmer.
One problem might be that those 1200 pages are just overwhelming, and I would have preferred it focuses only on standard C++. Anyway, Horton's 2010 book deserves attention, and I assume it is the same of the 2012 version.

Here is another tip. Many Universities subscribe to the "Books24x7" service. This service has tons of technology books on all sorts of database, programming language and other topics. The user-interface is a little clunky but if you are patient you can check out a ton of materials. I believe memberships in the IEEE Computer Society (about $50 a year for students) and memberships in the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) also offer access to Books24x7.

Cheers,

Prof. H.

I had the opportunity to read Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010 a couple of months ago.
It is a good reading in my opinion (with much humility) as I am not a professional programmer.
One problem might be that those 1200 pages are just overwhelming, and I would have preferred it focuses only on standard C++. Anyway, Horton's 2010 book deserves attention, and I assume it is the same of the 2012 version.
Does the book have lots of screen shots? Is Managed C++(C++/CLI) discussed?

One of the dangers is that newbies cannot distinguish between C++ and VS C++. A 'good' example in a plastics extrusion RT system in which all classes were derived from MFC base COobject. Now, it was a sticky one.... even the hardware controllers and application classes.:eek:

Back