• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is MFE/MSF the way to go?

NKS

Why would some one employ me after MFE/MSF with my profile?

Work ex: 9 years in IT (5 being international-US and HK). Always worked as business analyst and consulted to diff firms on equity derivatives pricing/trading, risk mgt, wealth mgt and broking solutions. Working closely with traders, risk mgrs and FO teams currently at HSBC IB @HK.
Acads: MBA and MS in Fin from India, currently CFA candidate (wrote Level 3 in june)
GPA: Dunno but had 70% in Masters and 78% in Undergraduate degree.
GMAT: Yet to take- but expect 700+.

Given that I have very limited tech skills (Yes programming), but I am willing to learn c++ and maths in next few months, do you guys thinks I can see myself in exotics structuring/trading after MFE?

I submitted my cv at MiF@LBS and was encouraged to apply. Can some one shed lights or share thoughts?

Thanks,
NKS

From what I know, yes. I am trying to be you! In fact, by the time I am done, I my resume may just be nearly identical - literally.

Get yourself a copy of Maple 12, MATLAB or Mathematica, & SAS..... learn these apps and brush up on your math.

Ok, so given my profile do u think there are possibilities for me to move into structuring/trading on exotic?

I might not be the most qualified person to give an answer to your question but I have seen hundreds of profiles like yours. There is nothing that makes you special. What do you have to offer to make you stand out above any other applicant?

Well, I dunno. That's why I am on the forum to ask smarter folks like you.

Nothing about being smart. It's kind of simple. Do you hire yourself? Why?

From that profile nothing tells me you're different or special.

Yes, you are right. Do you mind telling about ur profile?

Thanks mate!
So what's special in this profile? I am trying to get the answer for "From that profile nothing tells me you're different or special. " from 'alain's' post.

I don't think Alain was trying to be nasty; there are just a lot of profiles out there (look around these forums) that are quantitatively like yours. I also don't think the profile I posted represents him particularly well; it is a two year old blurb. Having met him, you can easily see he is quick-witted, able, amiable, knowledgeable, and very interested in the field. What soft skills do you offer aside from those numbers you posted?

Thanks mate!
So what's special in this profile? I am trying to get the answer for "From that profile nothing tells me you're different or special. " from 'alain's' post.
You asked for us to look at your profile and if that profile can lead you to a job in exotics structuring/trading after MFE. That was a very spefic field that could lead to riches. However, you are not the only person with that dream. Like you there hundreds of others with similar profile that want the same type of job. I was trying to tell you that you need to put something in the profile that makes you stand out, that shows you have something that the rest don't have or that not that many people have. That usually shows up in your resume/CV or in the interview.

There is nothing wrong with your profile but, as I say, you can go to Willmott and find a lot of profiles like yours.

Back