• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is the knowledge of MQL programming language valuable for investment banks?

Hi guys,

Im thinking about starting to learn Metatrader and MQL5 programming language in order to have a first approach to algo-trading.

However, my first objective is to be hired by an investment bank company and work as a quant, and actually im going to start the college and i want to invest all my time possible to achieve this goal. I know there is still a long way to walk... but Im thinking about finishing a 4 years degree in 3 years, so my time is limited.

That means that i dont want to lose the time learning a tool that is not going to be valuable for these companies, so i was wondering if it is really worth to learn it... or its better that I start learning C++, Matlab, SQL...?

Thanks!

Well I think it depends on your position. Both Metatrader and MQL5 are built-in languages for programming trading strategies which are specific in nature. I know more on MQL5 than Metatrader and can say that it has quite a rich custom library. Using this language, you can create your own Expert Advisors that make trading management automated and are perfectly suitable for implementing your own trading strategies. Besides, using MQL5 you can create your own technical indicators (custom indicators), scripts and libraries.

As for frequency of use, I think that C/C++ Matlab are more frequently used but they are more general.

As I understood you don't have clue of your future position yet and you just intend to be hired. Good Luck with it. But I cannot be more specific here since I don't know which to advice for that(unknown) position.

Hmm, it looks interesting for selftrading...

And well I have to aim high first, I dont know where is this going to bring me in my career but Im going to work as hard as I can to achieve my goals or at least going as far as I can. My first goal is to get an internship in a big investment bank such as Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, etc..., and then do a MFA...

Im dreaming too much maybe but Im the kind of person who like to prepare everything because that is my main motivation.

I personally would embark on C++ and Matlab since it is much better to know the programming constructs themselves rather than dedicating yourself to highly concentrated software. After knowing programming constructs of C++ you will find it very easy to learn other languages. Matlab would help you in preparing yourself in math based programming. As for usability of Matlab and C++ at investment banks, it is quite common. Moreover, if you come to end up working or at least having internship with research group (as I had an honor) then C++ is ideal for custom programming. Remember that MQL5 can only help you when your stick to trading (or related) position.

Im dreaming too much maybe but Im the kind of person who like to prepare everything because that is my main motivation.

Good Luck with your aims. Im sure you'll achieve a lot with such motivation.

Back