• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is the title "middle office" bad enough to not take this job? I feel it actually offers more learning opportunities

Hi,
I'm further on in my career than most of you(40yrs old), but still trying to work towards roles that are closer to the source of alpha.

Currently I am at a major bank working in their electronic trading technology team, but that means the plumbing into markets along with the orser manager and pre trade risk systems. There is an algo container I work with, but those are pre set algos (like VWAP, and different preset algos that seek to minimize slippage during a day's trades). No real application if anything academic related to trading.

Also got a offer to work in IT as a BA at another firm doing in the Middle Office. The term "middle office" doesn't sound as good but when you see the work actually being done ( working on VaR, monte Carlo across both credit and market risk. And a bunch of regulatory items like firm liquidity standards and such).

Also new job... Comes with a raise which I need.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Hi,

I dont think the term "Mid Office" is a bad choice for you. IMHO, front office is for young guys who're hungry and have fewer obligations and more health so they can take on more pressure and risks. As glamorous as they may seem, few of them would want to remain this way once they reach their 30s or have a family. They would at least want to move up to manager to have a bit more security. Ofc this also depends on what's meaningful for you and what's your priority. If your family is your priority, then mid office is not that bad :)

P/S: whether the position offers more learning opportunities or not does not depend on whether it's front office or not :)

Last edited:
Thanks @khoatran.
I've reached a similar conclusion as well, but helps to see some agreement. Literally everything about the new role is better except the superficial name and fact that will have to after 10 years at a new firm start over and prove myself to new people.

But what kind of man would I be of I stayed for the sake of comfort or safety?

Thanks for the feedback

Back