• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE Is UCB MFE no longer a good quant program?

• Thread starter JimSim
  • Start date

JimSim

Nvm it seems like a fantastic program in hindsight! Would highly recommend! Fantastic fantastic

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit about myself:

Tier 1 (arguably best) college in India (IIT Bombay)
B.Tech in Computer Science
GPA: 9.01

GRE: 333 170Q + 163V
TOEFL: 118

1 internship at Barclays Trading
1 internship at EPFL (Machine learning)
1 internship at TU Delft (Machine learning)

Interested in being a quant at Citadel, DE Shaw, Renaissance etc.

Which program should I target?

A bit about myself:

Tier 1 (arguably best) college in India (IIT Bombay)
B.Tech in Computer Science
GPA: 9.01

GRE: 333 170Q + 163V
TOEFL: 118

1 internship at Barclays Trading
1 internship at EPFL (Machine learning)
1 internship at TU Delft (Machine learning)

Princeton Mfin
Also don't you think that you can directly apply and get selected to these firms being IITB CS grad? Cause I have seen people getting into Two Sigma directly from IITs

No MFE will help you land even an interview at DE Shaw or Ren tech, you would need to do a PhD on an interesting topic at a great school.

You would probably get an interview at Citadel though (personally superdayed for cit sec and the likes), regardless if do a MFE at Berkeley, Baruch, Columbia, Princeton, CMU etc. Not so much the MFE program that matters, but how you perform on the interviews.

Easiest way to know career prospects for a program is just to look at the career reports for the past 5 years. "Very few UCB MFE heading to good trading firms, hedge funds etc." You can replace UCB with any of these top 5 MFEs and this sentence still holds true. Regardless of the MFE program you go to, top buy side placements is the exception - not the norm. Here's Princetons for example, CMU/Baruch is similiar, only ~1 - 2 students from each program would place into a Citadel/HRT level fund, historically 0 for JS..
1666278124850.png

Basically, Berkeley is fine, no MFE program is really a magic pill for buy side (we are not the target programs, you'll see too many MIT/CMU cs undergrads at the superdays for the firms you mentioned, IIT background is great in comparison to the general population but very so-so if conditioned on the pool of superday candidates). "Linda no longer there. New people in charge have 0 experience from the perspective of getting jobs for students." Yeah losing Linda might be a blow to the program but I personally don't feel career service is an important factor of considering a program - interviews are mainly dependent on you not your MFE program. In fact, the biggest con of Berkeley imo is that it's not a chill program - you want more time to recruit (multiple consecutive superdays will exhaust you trust me), and less time on doing school work.

Yes, I did write again! Got 165 this time. Thanks for the encouragement!

I'd bet he's going to get an interview there but not too sure how the behavioral is gonna pan out. Lindsay: "What other programs did you apply to and why Princeton?", him: "Proceeds to take a dump on Berkeley"
You are very funny!

I hope you are not disappointed but I have decided not to apply for MFE programs. I have already got into Optiver so luckily I don't need to spend money on masters program now

Back