• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

IT/Finance, junior lost and LF new job

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I'm seeking honest advices.

I'm a young European with random/unknown Msc in CS. I always wanted to work in finance mostly due to money and being surrounded by hard working ppl. I'm that kind of guy that's average but with a "can do" attitude.

That led me to internships/traineeship doing mostly VBA developments on AM/IB FO environment and I'm now an Associate, junior trader on a quant trading team still doing my VBA and handling the side tasks (understanding, not generating money). Activity is down and I've gently been pushed out of the bank. I've always seen me like a lucky guy, clearly illegitimate as I'm off the league, these guys are smarts, really smarts... And my background/knowledge do not match.

My strengh is that my attitude leads me to do anything possible to automate anything but :
- I do not master C++ or other strong language as I only practiced VBA but I still get all the OO/DP concepts etc. I'm really interested in recent ML/Data stuffs and I'll learn from now on my free time for sure (Coursera).
- I'm terrible with mathematics and reading Wilmott's book already requires me a lot of efforts. But I got the basics, above average basics I'm sure.

So, I'm kinda lost with what I should search from now. I've still my "bastard" profile, not "programmer" enough to do the cool IT stuffs and not "quant/finance" enough to be useful as a money maker. I'd really still work in a trading/technology environment, no preference regarding the environment.

Any idea what should be my next move? Which position may be the more suitable? Or maybe I should just give me some time to brush something before screwing up opportunities?

Thanks in advance

Back