• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Jason WU's Thread

Hi all, I am Jiacheng(Jason) WU.

My Profile:
BS Math and Applied Math @ Fudan University GPA 3.7, with 1 exchange semester @ HKUST and 1 summer session @ UC Berkeley

Core Courses: Mathematical Analysis I,II,III; Advanced Algebra I,II; Real Analysis; Complex Analysis; Functional Analysis; ODE, PDE; Probability; Abstract Algebra; 2 undergraduate C++ courses

Related Electives: Applied Statistics; Financial Martket; Intro. Finance; Intro. Financial Engineering

Planning to take CFA level 1 this coming June

Here is my list of questions :)

1. Can you guys share the list of the textbooks, since its a lot cheaper to buy the books here in China.

2. What kind of students are eligible for the TA or other position?

3. Can the current students or alumini share your experience of what-to-do in the first months of the program or any previous preparation you think needed?

Regards,
Jiacheng WU

1 Shreve's book, volumn 1 and 2
2 many Chinese and Indian students have TA jobs, dont worry abou this
3 it depends on your background, r u math/CS students? if so, no need to worry

1) Get as many book as you can afford in my master list of books
Required textbooks for Spring 2008 courses - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
Required textbooks for Spring 2007 courses - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
Required books for Fall 2007 - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
Required textbooks for Fall 2006 courses - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
2) The kind that requests it.
3) You probably will be so busy the first few months doing homeworks and getting familiar with NYC that there isn't much time to do anything else.
Trying to establish a sleep schedule now would do you good. Sleeping 4 hours a day would prepare you well. (at least it works for me ;) )

1 Shreve's book, volumn 1 and 2
2 many Chinese and Indian students have TA jobs, dont worry abou this
3 it depends on your background, r u math/CS students? if so, no need to worry

Yes, I am Math student :)-

1) Get as many book as you can afford in my master list of books
Required textbooks for Spring 2008 courses - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
Required textbooks for Spring 2007 courses - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
Required books for Fall 2007 - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
Required textbooks for Fall 2006 courses - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
2) The kind that requests it.
3) You probably will be so busy the first few months doing homeworks and getting familiar with NYC that there isn't much time to do anything else.
Trying to establish a sleep schedule now would do you good. Sleeping 4 hours a day would prepare you well. (at least it works for me ;) )

Sleep 4 hours a day? :cry:

Sleep 4 hours a day? :cry:

Hi, Jason, welcome to here : )

Yes, workload sometimes goes crazy. But if you like it, it is still a lot of fun and a great learning experience.

By the way, could you post your profile? Hence students here can know more about you.

Hi, Jason, welcome to here : )

Yes, workload sometimes goes crazy. But if you like it, it is still a lot of fun and a great learning experience.

By the way, could you post your profile? Hence students here can know more about you.

Hi, I've added my profile at the first post:)

Hi all, I am Jiacheng(Jason) WU.

My Profile:
BS Math and Applied Math @ Fudan University GPA 3.7, with 1 exchange semester @ HKUST and 1 summer session @ UC Berkeley

Core Courses: Mathematical Analysis I,II,III; Advanced Algebra I,II; Real Analysis; Complex Analysis; Functional Analysis; ODE, PDE; Probability; Abstract Algebra; 2 undergraduate C++ courses

Related Electives: Applied Statistics; Financial Martket; Intro. Finance; Intro. Financial Engineering

Planning to take CFA level 1 this coming June

Here is my list of questions :)

1. Can you guys share the list of the textbooks, since its a lot cheaper to buy the books here in China.

2. What kind of students are eligible for the TA or other position?

3. Can the current students or alumini share your experience of what-to-do in the first months of the program or any previous preparation you think needed?

Regards,
Jiacheng WU

Jason:

I am currently a TA for an undergraduate fin math course. I got into this program directly out of college. I knew some other students got TA from Zicklin and there are also students got on-campus job from Subotnic center. As long as you achieved good scores, and also applied for those jobs when you come here(Of course this is important:D), you have a good chance to get a TA.

For your third question, it depends on your major. Since you are in math, I suggest you look at some intro finance books. Investment by Bodie is always a classic. And also you can take a look at Hull's book. You are taking CFA and that is also a good preparation for you to get more sense in finance.

But the book can be only sold within China mainland:-k

im kiding, but some Baruch students are really willing to buy those cheap versions sold in China. If u bring with u some more copies, they would be glad to have it, like Alain's bid $20:)

im kiding, but some Baruch students are really willing to buy those cheap versions sold in China. If u bring with u some more copies, they would be glad to have it, like Alain's bid $20:)

BTW, my offer is still on the table

Back