• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Key MFE courses for quant trading?

I'm one semester into a two-year quant finance masters program at a good European school, and I want to go into prop quant trading after graduation.

Trying to optimize my focus a bit, a few questions:
Which types of classes are most important? Eg programming, pure math, derivatives pricing, etc. Both in terms of the content being directly applicable to quant trading job, and any signaling value.​
How are master's theses viewed? Is it best to choose a topic directly relevant to a target job, or is the general evidence of "successful self-directed work on a complex topic of any kind" sufficient?​
How important are grades, in general? My impression is that having good grades is a necessary but (obviously) not sufficient condition, and there's rapidly diminishing value in having perfect grades vs just clearing a "good" hurdle; is this correct?​
How are personal quant trading projects viewed? Say I spend a few months building a bot that makes a solid return trading crypto, and get fairly into the weeds with the programming/software engineering details. Is this actively helpful for my resume?​

If you have previous work experience most employers just ask for your resume and don’t really care about the transcript much

Back