• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering.
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Coming soon.
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models.

Lehigh MFE vs UChicago MPCS

qn_jmd

Hi everyone, I decided on going to grad school late and was only able to apply to a couple programs. I was admitted into Lehigh MFE (full tuition scholarship) and University of Chicago MPCS (25% scholarship so far, looking for additional funding). I have a BS in Finance from Lehigh. I think any sort of trading with a quant side involved would be cool (ideally more programming than math). I'm worried Lehigh doesn't have the brand name or enough coding in its program, while I'm not sure how shops would view the UChicago MPCS. Any advice here?

Michsund

C++ Student
I mean Lehigh is free and if you got nothing better to do why not? I mean the classes they have seem good but they seem to have a lack of classes. Just doesn’t seem to be to good of a curriculum. Uchicago seems pretty expensive for a degree that’s not to great. Like for me I graduated in three years took a year off and then went to cmu. If I could redo it I wouldn’t have taken the year off and I would’ve picked up a free masters at Stony Brook and then went to cmu. The mind stays sharper when your in school and I would have a free masters in some sort of applied math/ stats which is always a plus. Plus I loved my undergrad and if you feel the same way I would recommend pursuing it and always go for another degree if you need one.

qn_jmd

I mean Lehigh is free and if you got nothing better to do why not? I mean the classes they have seem good but they seem to have a lack of classes. Just doesn’t seem to be to good of a curriculum. Uchicago seems pretty expensive for a degree that’s not to great. Like for me I graduated in three years took a year off and then went to cmu. If I could redo it I wouldn’t have taken the year off and I would’ve picked up a free masters at Stony Brook and then went to cmu. The mind stays sharper when your in school and I would have a free masters in some sort of applied math/ stats which is always a plus. Plus I loved my undergrad and if you feel the same way I would recommend pursuing it and always go for another degree if you need one.
Hi, thanks so much for the input. A couple of follow up questions:

- Do you think an Applied Econ or Statistics degree from Lehigh would be more useful?
- What causes you to say MPCS is not too great?
- At what point of scholarship does UChicago become a better option?

I was initially leaning Chicago but I've received conflicting advice on what to do.

Thanks again for your help.

Michsund

C++ Student
Hi, thanks so much for the input. A couple of follow up questions:

- Do you think an Applied Econ or Statistics degree from Lehigh would be more useful?
- What causes you to say MPCS is not too great?
- At what point of scholarship does UChicago become a better option?

I was initially leaning Chicago but I've received conflicting advice on what to do.

Thanks again for your help.
What are your career goals?

qn_jmd

What are your career goals?
I think quant research at any buy side firm would be fascinating, but obviously tough to get. I like the projects I've done using python to either scrape 10-K's or analyzing big data to come to conclusions on securities.

To an extent I'm not exactly sure what I want to do because my experience so far has been in M&A+corp fin. However, I do know that I'd like to move away from this and do something more technical. S&T/Equity research would appeal to me but these seem like less technical roles.

Michsund

C++ Student
I think quant research at any buy side firm would be fascinating, but obviously tough to get. I like the projects I've done using python to either scrape 10-K's or analyzing big data to come to conclusions on securities.

To an extent I'm not exactly sure what I want to do because my experience so far has been in M&A+corp fin. However, I do know that I'd like to move away from this and do something more technical. S&T/Equity research would appeal to me but these seem like less technical roles.
I’m doing quant research at an asset management firm rn and I can say that if your not in a fully quant strategy that applied eco sounds great. For my role having strong knowledge of econometrics and investment theory is key. The programming and ML is just secondary to help the key procedures that you actually need to do. I’m to lazy to google can you drop the link for the applied eco?

qn_jmd

I’m doing quant research at an asset management firm rn and I can say that if your not in a fully quant strategy that applied eco sounds great. For my role having strong knowledge of econometrics and investment theory is key. The programming and ML is just secondary to help the key procedures that you actually need to do. I’m to lazy to google can you drop the link for the applied eco?
That sounds like an awesome gig.

Here is the curriculum: MS in Applied Economics Curriculum | Lehigh Business

Unfortunately, does not look like a very competitive program (avg GRE 312, avg GPA 3.2 while I have a GRE 324Q+V and 3.9 GPA ) so that will probably show in recruiting and might be selling myself short...

I also applied to the ESADE MSF (I'm a Spanish citizen) but haven't heard back yet. They have a Big Data and Asset Pricing concentration: Curriculum

Thank you so much for the help, once again.

qn_jmd

Michsund

C++ Student
That sounds like an awesome gig.

Here is the curriculum: MS in Applied Economics Curriculum | Lehigh Business

Unfortunately, does not look like a very competitive program (avg GRE 312, avg GPA 3.2 while I have a GRE 324Q+V and 3.9 GPA ) so that will probably show in recruiting and might be selling myself short...

I also applied to the ESADE MSF (I'm a Spanish citizen) but haven't heard back yet. They have a Big Data and Asset Pricing concentration: Curriculum

Thank you so much for the help, once again.
Personally I don’t think this is to good of a program. Umm not really so sure what your open to at the moment. Because buy side, from what I know, isn’t about asset pricing at all. So not really sure that’ll help. You need good data science and ml skills no matter where you go so make sure the program your looking for has a solid background in that. Maybe reapply next year or see what programs are still accepting applicants.