• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Linux

I’ve never used Linux but heard about this a lot. Is it beneficial to learn how to use this? What are the pros and cons?

I’ve never used Linux but heard about this a lot. Is it beneficial to learn how to use this? What are the pros and cons?
Pros: Free. The built-in tool-set is great. Most of the world computer processes run a flavor of Unix (this is my anecdotally experience). The productivity increase that you will acquired will help you for the rest of your life if you stay in world of dealing with data/numbers

Cons: IT'S "YUGE"!! You will need to focused yourself and learn the subset that is important to you (like in C++)

PS - Your smartphone probably runs a flavor of Unix. If you have a Mac, you are already run linux, drop into the command line and start learning. If you run Windows 10, install WSL. You don't have to run and install the latest flavor of Linux by itself although it will force you to learn it.

PS2 - Drop the mouse. It's the #1 enemy of productivity you will have.

Back