• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

London firing as New York hiring

Financial firms in London, besieged by Europe’s sovereign-debt crisis, probably will shrink their workforce this year, snapping a hiring rebound from 2008’s credit crisis as New York’s industry ekes out job growth.

Banks, insurers and other financial-services firms may eliminate about 3,000 jobs across greater London as companies in the New York region add 9,000, according to U.K.-based researcher Oxford Economics Ltd.

London’s proximity to the debt crisis is undermining the city’s efforts to gain on its trans-Atlantic rival. While Wall Street also is suffering from a global slowdown in trading and deal-making, North American banks are benefiting from a surge in consumer lending.

“Wall Street is tilting toward younger, up-and-coming talent,” Kahn said. “Some of the folks that have a lot of experience and are paid a lot more money have been downsized in a cost-cutting effort.”

Finding a job has been toughest for people seeking middle- management positions, while lower ranks, such as associates and analysts, are faring better, WhiteRock’s Dolfino said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...een-surging-as-finance-firms-add-ny-jobs.html

Surprising to hear. In 2009-2012, I have yet to find an analyst position. Deferred Ph.D. studies for a shot at finding a job. Made it to round 3 at Wells Fargo and Round 2 at JP Morgan in 2012, my only interviews since 2010. I guess it hurt because I interned in a market risk department and thus, was seeking a market risk position with only a bachelor of arts in economics and minor in computer science. Thus, heading into Ph.D. studies next year. Hoping for a quant gig and professor gig when I get out. Yeah, two jobs, i'm hungry for money haha.

Back