• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Lower than expected GRE scores

Hi everyone,

I'm not feeling well about my GRE scores. But first to introduce myself, I am in my last year majoring in Math and Stats with a Minor in Finance at a Canadian university. I have a very high gpa (~3.97/4.00), and two risk management internships at a big Canadian bank. I first took the GRE in beginning of December, got 161Q/157V/4AWA. The quant score I got is much lower than expected, especially having done very well in a quantitative major. I took it again, and got only 2 points higher on both Q/V (163Q). I think its nerves that got me both times, especially being so anxious about the ticking timer. Had I not been so anxious, I would have been able to do better, but I don't think there's much I can do about being anxious during the test anymore.

I would like to apply to NYU MathFin, NYU-Poly FE, Columbia MFE, and Columbia MAFN. I just want to know if they will even consider my application with my quant score being lower than the average. What can I do to improve my chances, and should I include an explanation of the low GRE score in my essay?

Thanks to all in advance!

Back