• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE LSE Finance Econ VS Imperial RMFE??

Hi all,

I really have hard time deciding between these two programs. Could anyone share your idea on what you would choose? My aim is to end up in derivatives structuring or trading career.

Here are pros and cons of each program that I can think of.
LSE
Pro:
- small class size
- more selective (?)
- more theoretical
- cheaper
- better brand name
Con:
- not really emphasize on applications
- not really relevant to derivatives-related career (?)

Imperial
Pro:
- programming component
- emphasize on applications
- relevant to derivatives-related career
- better career service (I believe)
Con:
- more expensive
- large class size

Phongvasu

Imperial is far better on quantitative subjects and has overall better brand name. LSE is rather known for economics and international relations.

Hallo ....I think that two programmes are quite different.....LSE Finance is Top in the finance industry...on the other hand IMPERIAL RMFE is a quantitive finance program ...have more c++ and mathematics and stochastics .......This course in IMPERIAL is renowned in Europe ........I think the decision depends on what you want to do ....more mathematics or more finance theoritically ..........I have a question about IMPERIAL........did you have gre test for this application ?

Hallo ....I think that two programmes are quite different.....LSE Finance is Top in the finance industry...on the other hand IMPERIAL RMFE is a quantitive finance program ...have more c++ and mathematics and stochastics .......This course in IMPERIAL is renowned in Europe ........I think the decision depends on what you want to do ....more mathematics or more finance theoritically ..........I have a question about IMPERIAL........did you have gre test for this application ?

Yes, I did submit the GRE for the application, but i don't think Imperial places emphasis on GRE score.

"My aim is to end up in derivatives structuring or trading career" Choose Imperial. At GS London office about 75% of all employees on structuring desk are from Imperial. Several of my friends who graduated from LSE struggled to find ANY job after graduation. Definitely Imperial

I don't know about you! But I can tell you my own decision!
I turned down the LSE Msc finance program and am going to join RMFE in Imperial!
I do this for several reasons:
First, personally, I think quantitative stuff is much more attractive to me, AND I WANT TO BECOME A TRADER OR A STRATS! Second, if you actually compare two programs, you will find that RMFE is much better! It is extremely well-designed. I can even feel that the dean of this program has the ambitious to make RMFE become the top of the top FE program! Comparing on faculty, both are good. Both program have awesome faculty.
Also, I think the main reason for me to join RMFE is because I really understand about what I am going to do. If you wanna do quant, I suggest you do the same thing as me.
DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE BRAND NAME STUFF! ! Imperial is no way worse than LSE for any company. For the same person, do you really think that he will get hire if he went to LSE but not get the job if he went to IC?? This is impossible!! They are all prestigious! Even though I admit that there may be a little bit advantage of the brandname of LSE in IB, the difference is so tiny that you don't even need to care about! However, what is really important is what do you expect from the program. I can tell you that if you join LSE, then you won't have any chance to become a quant!
That's why I choose RMFE!

Last edited:
Guys i have a question for you about IMPERIAL RMFE.....I have submitted to LSE financial mathematics because they dont want gre test ...........I am first class honour with best grades in any subject of economics and mathematics and my referees love me ....there is any possibility for me to be acceptable to IMPERIAL RMFE without a gre test ?..........because i am from Greece and the money for this test is very hight....i prefer with this money to buy a new laptop to do my courses ...Thaknk you !!!

Guys i have a question for you about IMPERIAL RMFE.....I have submitted to LSE financial mathematics because they dont want gre test ...........I am first class honour with best grades in any subject of economics and mathematics and my referees love me ....there is any possibility for me to be acceptable to IMPERIAL RMFE without a gre test ?..........because i am from Greece and the money for this test is very hight....i prefer with this money to buy a new laptop to do my courses ...Thaknk you !!!

I actually did submit the GRE score.
But I don't think they care. The GMAT score is just recommended not compulsory. If you shows great mathematics skill from your application, then I don't think they need GRE at all. We all know what the math level of GRE test is. But this is just my opinion.
I don't think I can evaluate your portfolio. But I suggest you give a try! RMFE is way better than the FM in LSE.

I know that Imperial RMFE is one of the best in this sector in Europe ..and i want to be acceptable with all my hurt :P ......but i have many friends from Greece who have rejected from Imperial with medium grades and i know one guy who have been acceptable with low grades beacause he had GRE ......In my situation i have best grades but i dont know if gre is one policy of IMPERIAL.....so if anyone have been acceptable to this course without GRE ...or if you know anyone who have been accepted to this program without GRE pls make aware me beacause i dont know what i should to do :P .......thank you !!

I know that Imperial RMFE is one of the best in this sector in Europe ..and i want to be acceptable with all my hurt :P ......but i have many friends from Greece who have rejected from Imperial with medium grades and i know one guy who have been acceptable with low grades beacause he had GRE ......In my situation i have best grades but i dont know if gre is one policy of IMPERIAL.....so if anyone have been acceptable to this course without GRE ...or if you know anyone who have been accepted to this program without GRE pls make aware me beacause i dont know what i should to do :P .......thank you !!

From the Facebook group I joined for the offer holder, I can tell you that lots of students(more than 10) don't have GRE or GMAT!
If that's your only concerned, you will be fine!!!

"My aim is to end up in derivatives structuring or trading career" Choose Imperial. At GS London office about 75% of all employees on structuring desk are from Imperial. Several of my friends who graduated from LSE struggled to find ANY job after graduation. Definitely Imperial
Go Imperial! :D

Hi, are you sure the RMFE course at IC is relevant for embarking on a career in derivative structuring/trading? Or should one consider the more general MSc Finance at IC?

Back