• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MAC or Windows laptop for MFE students?

Could you give me some suggestions on what laptop to buy for the MFE study? I really prefer macbook pros, but excel doesn't work very well on them. Also, I worry about the compatibility of the file format to other student that I might do group project with. Is it easier to just use a windows computer? Thanks!

a lot of students from my programs use macbooks. With macbook and bootcamp, they can do everything.

The requirement for new Baruch students is a machine with at least 4GB of memory and a CPU that supports 64bit Virtualization.

Sounds good. I guess I can keep using Macbook pro then. Thank you everyone for replying :cool:

The requirement for new Baruch students is a machine with at least 4GB of memory and a CPU that supports 64bit Virtualization.
Do I need "Virtualization" if my machine has dual-boot (Win 7 64 bit and Ubuntu)? Is a 17' laptop too big to carry (if the specs are really good)?

You need virtualization because you will be downloading a 64bit VM with the operating system and pointing to the packages we would like you to use. It makes for a uniform environment for all the students.

I see. I thought we used virtualization because not everybody had Unix/Linux. Doesn't that make the system slower?

I just ordered a Lenovo laptop (x220t). I haven't taken delivery yet but it is small, versatile and has the latest cpu (sandy bridge i5) and awesome screen (IPS screen with multitouch and digitizer for note-taking). It is Win7 so not for Mac fans.

Do I need "Virtualization" if my machine has dual-boot (Win 7 64 bit and Ubuntu)? Is a 17' laptop too big to carry (if the specs are really good)?

yes u need virtualization and YES 17 is too big !! It was/is horrible time with my HP 16" and is on craigs list now !! :)

yes u need virtualization and YES 17 is too big !! It was/is horrible time with my HP 16" and is on craigs list now !! :)
so 14 in? thinkpad or MacBook Pro? Anyone at the Baruch Program is managing with a MacBook Pro?

I have a MacBook Pro. The other professor also have a MacBook pro.

me: I find Thinkpad the best among all laptops for tonnes of reasons. Well Mac has good battery life though !!

Too bad. I have a G73JW Asus (I7, 12 GB ram, VRAM 1.5 GB,....)Really good specs for programming and simulation...

again, if you are a new student coming into the Baruch program, get a laptop that supports 64bit Virtualization and have at least 4 GB of memory and the biggest hard drive you can afford in that model. Macbook pros will definitely work. I know some dells don't support virtualization.

Back