• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE MaFinRisk Bocconi vs Imperial RMFE

Hello,

I am a recent graduate in data science and I'd like to pivot into quantitative finance.

Since I did not study math in my bachelor I am not eligible for most quant masters in europe, and these two are the only offers I have so far.

Given that I'd be interested in roles in quant trading and research, which of the two masters do you think could give more chances?

Thanks in advance.

I would personally go for Imperial. Both great schools in europe. MaFinRisk seems good, but it has some mandatory accounting/corporate finance courses (if you want to work in quant trading/research you won’t need to learn that stuff, so you’re either interested you or it sucks ahah). Also, if you want to work in quant finance in europe, Imperial is definitely the best choice as you’re closer to europe’s biggest market (in Italy the job market for quants in non-existent, and it’s harder to find a job in London if you study in Milan).

I would personally go for Imperial. Both great schools in europe. MaFinRisk seems good, but it has some mandatory accounting/corporate finance courses (if you want to work in quant trading/research you won’t need to learn that stuff, so you’re either interested you or it sucks ahah). Also, if you want to work in quant finance in europe, Imperial is definitely the best choice as you’re closer to europe’s biggest market (in Italy the job market for quants in non-existent, and it’s harder to find a job in London if you study in Milan).
Idk why but many of the MaFinRisk alumni tend to stay in Milan, and I also agree with you on the curriculum. The only reason I'm also considering that is the cost of the master (MaFinRisk 14k vs RMFE 47k), and that RMFE is a bit disregarded in the community.

I also have applied to the Master in Finance (28k) at Bocconi, I thought that, although the curriculum isn't optimal, I can leverage on exchanges/double degrees with top schools, and possibly do a good summer internship. Do you think it can be a valuable alternative to RMFE?

Idk why but many of the MaFinRisk alumni tend to stay in Milan, and I also agree with you on the curriculum. The only reason I'm also considering that is the cost of the master (MaFinRisk 14k vs RMFE 47k), and that RMFE is a bit disregarded in the community.

I also have applied to the Master in Finance (28k) at Bocconi, I thought that, although the curriculum isn't optimal, I can leverage on exchanges/double degrees with top schools, and possibly do a good summer internship. Do you think it can be a valuable alternative to RMFE?
I understand that the cost might be an important factor, but I gave a quick look at the RMFE curriculum and it seems more suitable if you want to pursue a quant career. Plus, Imperial is in London and it has a really good brand name. I believe it would be a good investment for the future.
Master in Finance at Bocconi, as you said, isn't optimal as it is a standard master in finance and most alumni end up in IB, PE, M&A etc.. However, it offers different quantitative courses too, and it is highly regarded in Europe. I still believe that if you are 100% committed in pursuing a career as a quant, the RMFE might be the better option between the three. Best option would probably be applying to the US programs, as the european job market for quants is not that great, a part from London.

Back