• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE MAFN@Columbia V.S. MSFM@UChicago

Which one is a better place to go with?

• Total voters
MAFN@Columbia V.S. MSFM@UChicago

I would be most grateful if some people could share their opinions about:

Which one is a better place to go with, in terms of international students finding a job in U.S.?

If they have their comparative advantage respectively, could you share the relevant info?

I appreciate your replies.

I'm in the same position. I'd take MAFN if no better offers in the future.

Could you share why you are leaning towards Columbia?
Just my personal views:
1.Location: I prefer New York City. Safer, warmer and more opportunities.
2.Brand: I think Columbia is slightly better.
3.Curriculum: Both are very theoretical.
4.Career services & Placement: I have to say neither is truly good, but I heard a lot more negative comments on the Chicago one.

Just my personal views:
1.Location: I prefer New York City. Safer, warmer and more opportunities.
2.Brand: I think Columbia is slightly better.
3.Curriculum: Both are very theoretical.
4.Career services & Placement: I have to say neither is truly good, but I heard a lot more negative comments on the Chicago one.
Thanks for your reply.
What made me stumped is:
1. Location: although NYC has much more opportunities, there are more competitive programs that make the competition fiercer. But MSFM at Uchiago is maybe the ONLY competitive program in Chicago.
4. The introduction of 'career development office' in UChicago last year has shown their effort in improving the career service. So I wonder if we can expect more on that.

Thanks for your reply.
What made me stumped is:
1. Location: although NYC has much more opportunities, there are more competitive programs that make the competition fiercer. But MSFM at Uchiago is maybe the ONLY competitive program in Chicago.
4. The introduction of 'career development office' in UChicago last year has shown their effort in improving the career service. So I wonder if we can expect more on that.
You made a good point. But considering the huge class size of MSFM, I dare not take that risk. Even the competition in NYC is more intensive, I believe as long as you yourself are self-motivated enough, you can achieve your goal given Columbia's brand and resources.

Anyway, if you are really a top guy, the program won't matter that much I guess. Both are good Mathfin programs. Then it's just New York vs Chicago. Wish you good luck.

Last edited:
@anonymecon - those are valid points. I too am stuck in the same situation as well. You can contact the UChicago admissions office for the placement stats as I did. It looks impressive.

@tetcmar - If I am not wrong , MSFM class size is 70, the rest 30-35 are from other 2 campuses

@anonymecon - those are valid points. I too am stuck in the same situation as well. You can contact the UChicago admissions office for the placement stats as I did. It looks impressive.

@tetcmar - If I am not wrong , MSFM class size is 70, the rest 30-35 are from other 2 campuses
Hi,would you mind sharing the stats here?

Split up is as follows

Trading - around 15% of the class
Quant Analyst - 22%
Quant Research - 12 %
Risk Mgmt - 22%

The rest have gotten into consulting, fin analyst, quant developer etc..typically 3-5 people in each of these. In terms of location, almost half have got jobs in Chicago. The next popular destination is NYC. This is just brief summary of the stats. The numbers are pretty much the same for 2012,2013 and 2014.

Split up is as follows

Trading - around 15% of the class
Quant Analyst - 22%
Quant Research - 12 %
Risk Mgmt - 22%

The rest have gotten into consulting, fin analyst, quant developer etc..typically 3-5 people in each of these. In terms of location, almost half have got jobs in Chicago. The next popular destination is NYC. This is just brief summary of the stats. The numbers are pretty much the same for 2012,2013 and 2014.
Thank you for sharing it. If the stats are reliable, then MSFM has a fine placement. But if the numbers for 2012, 2013, and 2014 are really this good, why is MSFM only ranked 14th? And why don't they put the stats on the website?

A lot of good programs such as NYU, Stanford etc don't have placement stats on their websites. I am not sure why that's the case.
I guess some programs crave for publicity and some don't. Regarding the rankings, you probably gotta ask Andy.

Thank you for sharing it. If the stats are reliable, then MSFM has a fine placement. But if the numbers for 2012, 2013, and 2014 are really this good, why is MSFM only ranked 14th? And why don't they put the stats on the website?

If you were investing in a stock, would you pick the one with the highest ranking amongst fund managers? Or the one with the strongest fundamentals?

I'm not saying UChicago has the strongest fundamentals, but you get my point...

If you were investing in a stock, would you pick the one with the highest ranking amongst fund managers? Or the one with the strongest fundamentals?

I'm not saying UChicago has the strongest fundamentals, but you get my point...

actually, I don't.

Back