• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Marco Avellaneda: "The Era Of The Pure Quant Is Over"

Interesting.

I think the Prof is a little more optimistic on the industry than I am, but I've definitely seen some of these trends, even when I was working 18 months ago. We've moved from the particle physicists we had before the crash to the programmers who can run stats and communicate effectively in the trading environment.

When we start hiring the stochal guys to invent new products and issue CDO cubeds to average investors, that's when I start buying a portfolio of CDSOs at a 500 point spread on financial institutions.

There is a place for particle physicists in the world. But it's more at Fermilab or Sandia than the trading floor of a sell-side firm. We don't need complicated products. At least not until professional memories of the crash have had another 25-30 years to fade.

Back