• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Mark Joshi's guide: What do quants do?

why isn't the link working? -- can't display page? Andy, would you check it?

Thanks!

I have updated it again recently.

By the way, I'd ask you not to post copies as they quickly get out of date, and the URL of the latest version never changes.

By the way, I'd ask you not to post copies as they quickly get out of date, and the URL of the latest version never changes.

Thank you very much, Mr. Joshi.

Thanks Mr. Joshi and welcome to Quantnet!!!

very informative for me....the article. Thanks and welcome aboard.=D>

By the way, i think my guide is the ideal place to advertise jobs or masters courses since it is ideally targeted at the right people. But so far I have had zero interest.

What does everyone think about advertising in the guide?

I think it's a good idea and I can push to get our program advertised in your guide.
A couple of reasons you are not getting calls about it.
1) The guide itself is not well advertised. Well, we know you and the C++ book you have but only a fraction of us know about your guide via QN, GD or WM forum.
2) It's a free guide and you should post it wherever you can. Instead, you have it somewhere on your site. The last time I went there, it took me a while to figure out where the guide is. I don't know the current status of your website but I believe a prominent display will help.
3) How much does it cost to advertise on your guide. You don't update the guide frequently so it's not like people will get your guide weekly. From advertiser's point of view, it's a very static and narrow audience to target.

These are my constructive input. I'm in the same position who tries to get advertisers on this website and those are my findings of which works and not.
Hope it helps.

PS: Send me a PM about the advertising cost when you decide to do that.

thanks for your comments.

it's true that the guide could be more prominent on my web site and i intend to address that.

Quite a few sites do direct link to it, and i think that most wannabe quants do read it at some point.

Although the readership is certainly niche, it's precisely the niche that MFE programs and headhunters should be interested in.

Setting the price right is of course tricky... i'd be interested on your thoughts on where the price should be .

Setting the price right is of course tricky... i'd be interested on your thoughts on where the price should be .
The price partly would depend on the numbers of circulations you can guarantee the sponsors. Unless you can install a log that can track how many unique downloads from your website, it's hard to see the reach of your guide.
I'll do a bit more research and get back to you on the price.

By the way, I saw your Practitioner Workshops at QMF 2007 flyer. Do you consider giving talks in North America in the future ?

among the types of quants listed in the Mark's article, are there any that baruch mfes tend to become more (or less) often than others? what about other mfe programs?

i would suspect that a pure science PhD would be more suitable for a research quant position (esp for 'blue-sky research'), but i could be dead wrong and would appreciate people's opinion on this.

thanks

I don't know where all of our alumni first worked or end up now but from the few I met with, my impression is that most of them are either involved in front office trading, risk management, and structured finance. That's typically the kinds of jobs our new graduates will get anyway.
The kind of research quant, i.e Derman's type of quant, will be more typical for PhD.

Is there anyone who knows where to download this file? The website seems currently down.

The guide is in the QuantNet master reading list

Back