• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Masters in Quantitative Finance

I would like to apply for a masters in quantitative finance in the United States but not sure what to do. (Managing Director) Head of quantitative at my firm mentioned that obtaining a masters was my only way to land a quant research analyst role within the firm based on my background. Undergraduate degree in Economics (not a top school but a decent private school in Texas). Took one computer science course and some statistics along with calculus, financial reporting and the usual Econ courses. Been in the financial services industry for 3 years, nothing major just a (series 7 and series 66 role haha). Currently studying for CFA, while trying to figure out if the edX course “introduction to computer science and programming using Python” and one from eCornell “Python for Data science”. I known my my background isn’t strong for a too program but want to see if anyone has any advice here.

My guess from the post is that you haven't taken any course that is rigorous enough to prepare you for the quant master programs. The Python courses from those edX/Coursera/etc is very broad (easy). We have a very specialized Python course here that is tailored for someone like you. It's highly recommended by those taken them so I strongly suggest taking a look at it.

If you can successfully complete it, I think you can build confidence and have a better sense of what to prepare for the next steps.
We also have top-notch C++ courses here as well but since you mentioned Python, I guess it would be a good way to enter the quant landscape.

Back