• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Math Background

kean

Mathematics Student
It seems that everyone background is so strong. I have a background of stats and accounting. Should I take more math courses before applying to Baruch? Please advise. Thanks.

Have you been told that you are required to take the math refreshers courses? The refreshers are meant to ensure that your math skills are up to par before the actual program begins in September. If you are concerned about your math skills, it is probably best to tell Dan Stefanica ASAP that you want to enroll.

kelvinkean said:
It seems that everyone background is so strong. I have a background of stats and accounting. Should I take more math courses before applying to Baruch? Please advise. Thanks.
You should take more math courses. It can only help. You may get accepted without strong math background (if you're that lucky) but you won't survive the first semester (some drop out because of the lack of math background).
You need to take programming courses too (C++) and build up on your stat and accounting background. Taking CFA I may help. Read John Hull's Options book will be useful.
Not most of us is coming from a mathematical background. We have a lawyer among the incoming class but she took all the required courses prior to applying so that helps.
It's possible that Baruch will raise the entrance bar again as it did in 2005.
It's good to show genuine interest in the program and you are on the right path. This General forum is designed just to help prospective students to gain more inside into the program and interact with current students.

frankm1342 said:
Have you been told that you are required to take the math refreshers courses? The refreshers are meant to ensure that your math skills are up to par before the actual program begins in September. If you are concerned about your math skills, it is probably best to tell Dan Stefanica ASAP that you want to enroll.
Frank, Kelvin is applying for Fall 2007. I was confused as well :)
Maybe it should be made mandatory for all new member to indicate their status before they post anything else. The link is the first one under my signature.

just realized

I just realized he wasn't accepted yet - I assummed you were only able to get onto our message board if you had been accepted into the program. my mistake.

Apology

Hey Guys,

I do not know this forum is for accepted student. I am planning to apply. I have a stats and accounting background, and I have done several financial mathematics subjects. My programming background basically built on .Net level but I have done a lots in SAS and S-plus.
Please accept my apolgy again and I will not enter until I get accepted. Many thanks for all the information. It is very helpful. Again, I would suggest you guys open the door for anyone who inspired by the American Dream.
The financial world it has to be model by both side - the hard and soft quant side. Market is unpredictable. No one can model the real world.

Thanks.

Re: Apology

kelvinkean said:
Hey Guys,
I do not know this forum is for accepted student. I am planning to apply.
Please accept my apolgy again and I will not enter until I get accepted. Many thanks for all the information. It is very helpful. Again, I would suggest you guys open the door for anyone who inspired by the American Dream.
Thanks.
Kelvin, nobody ever said this forum is for accepted students only. We welcome anyone interested in the Baruch program.
However, we would like each and every new member on this forum to introduce themselves properly by stating their status with Baruch (current students, incoming students, prospective students, alumnus, professor, etc). This way, other members won't get confused and would give you proper advice based on your status. We do not discriminate against anyone.
Please notice I put under my signature the link for everyone to post their status. Here is the direct link http://quantnet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8
I would appreciate anyone to do this. It's hard for me as a forum admin not to have any idea who is on this forum. This forum has been defaced before and I don't want it to happen again.
I would soon implement a system where current or prospective students are indicated under their name.
Just go ahead and ask question. You are always welcome here.

thanks

Andy,

I posted my status to that link. Thank you and I appreciate your efforts to make Baruch stands up as an icon to be respected in the financial world. With this pool of talents, I am sure Baruch can aruchdo well.
I will work hard to ensure that Dan accepts me next year. One day, if I succeed with Baruch and like anyone of you I have no hesitation to give back. We get from the society, we should give back to make the American drean or whatsoever dream belongs to anyone talented better....that helps to improve the well beings in the universe.

Cheers,
Kel

Hey Kelvin, which part of Australia are you from? Just curious. Good luck with your plan.

Hi, Andy, you mentioned 'drop out' in your post somewhere, where I can't find.
But, wow... ...now I undertand the discrepancy between the number of admitted students and number of graduate each year. :o
So, does student voluntarily opt to drop out because they find it difficult or does people get booted by school when they perform poorly:-k

stockjinni said:
Hi, Andy, you mentioned 'drop out' in your post somewhere, where I can't find.
But, wow... ...now I undertand the discrepancy between the number of admitted students and number of graduate each year. :o
So, does student voluntarily opt to drop out because they find it difficult or does people get booted by school when they perform poorly:-k
It's best called "survival of the fittest" :D
I don't know first hand how it actually happens but Dan told me that after first semester, you will find some of your friends magically disappear. Either they voluntarily drop out because they can't handle the pressure and heavy load, or they quit because they fail a class or two.
It's no different at other programs. You expect some to drop out and most will stay tough and go on to enjoy an exciting career. What Baruch does differently from most of the programs is they have an intensive refresher courses program during the summer that will prepare students well for the first semester. If you ask current or past students, they will agree that it's the best thing they could do to get past the first semester. I don't know of anyone didn't take any refresher course and cruise in the first semester. So taking refresher courses is vital.
Baruch expects the best from us and it's up to you and me to meet that challenge.
Regards,

Melbourne

Stockjinni,

I am from Melbourne. What about you? I agreed with Andy wholeheartedly.

With the limited sum we invest in this program, it is a great thing to do. Dan definitely convinced me.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers,
Kel

Hi, Kelvin,
I'm a chinese origin and have lived in Auckland for the past 5 years.
Visited Melbourne in March this year to do the GRE test during the commonwealth games weekend, a fantastic city, absolutely loved it.

Regards

Stockjinni

What makes you come to Baruch? I thought there is a similar program offered by Victoria University at Wellington. How is life in NY? I hope to join you guys next year.

I work for NAB Australia.

lol, I think the answer to that is very obvious, similar kinda reason to yours, the facts speak for itself, so I don't wanna start a verbal bash here :D

Back