• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Math Primer but where?

Hi to all of you,

As i have mentioned to my introducing post, i have attended the Information Session of BarucH AT 17/9. From the discussion and as i have discussed with other universities the level of mathematics is very high and unfortunately i don't have that level. So my solutions are the following:

1) Since i can not afford to leave for 6 months at the USA and take courses at campus, i have found that Chicago University offers a distance learning mathematical preparation course. The ebsite of this course is : http://finmath.uchicago.edu/new/msfm/prospective/plan_preparation.php . What do you think? Does the material it covers make me able to qualify for admitted at a Financial Enginnering Program?

2) The second solution also something with distance learning is the CQF - Certificate in Mathematical Methods . The website is : http://www.7city.com/pdf/fpt/maths_methods.pdf . Which of the to do you think covers more things and is closer to the mathematics that you do on you MSC?

3) And the third solution is to finish my quant career before it even starts because i have low GPA and i will never make it to go to a good university so why to spent more money on classes and my time , maybe i have to admit that i lost the game long time ago while i have been at college. Many times i think that i make my life so difficult for no reason, since why i should try to go for a financial engineering msc since i don't have a good GPA and that destroys everything. There is no way to compete with guys having PHD's and working to big banks at Wall Street who are also applicants...:wall

In the same Boat

Hi all,

So, I am in the same boat as Dionisis.
I would like to know a suggested Math Primer.

Can you point me to where I can learn online free/buy a book for the math of FE?

I have been loving this forum for a long time without being a registered member. Thank you everyone for all of your great posts. They have been very informative over the past few months with all of the market movements.

Hey Dionisis, University of Berkeley has online courses for their Financial Engineering program specific to Statistics, Math, and Computer Programming. Unfortunately these classes probably won't "transfer" to other programs, but it is a start. They are also about $1,200 a piece.

I am planning to take UCB's 7 week statistics module, but I would like a primer for the class, because it assumes familiarity with linear algebra and programming language familiarity and I haven't taken those courses in 15 years.

Any "Cliff Notes" of Financial Engineering Math out there?

Thanks!

If you find one, run for cover. You need to understand the math really well so you can apply it. If not, we might end up in another "market crisis". Cutting corners is not going to work out.

Nope. Dan Stefanica's book is about as palatable as it gets. No, hang on. Paul Wilmott has an intro book out on quant finance. Inspect it before buying it.

Brianlee thanks for the advice. Do you have any website that i can look for those online lessons of Berkeley?

Nope. Dan Stefanica's book is about as palatable as it gets. No, hang on. Paul Wilmott has an intro book out on quant finance. Inspect it before buying it.

Just to piggyback, Wilmott's book requires a solid understanding of calculus and linear algebra.

Back