• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE Application - Low Undergrad Math Marks

Good evening everyone!

This is my first post on QuantNet, so please excuse any formatting or etiquette faux pas.

I am beginning my journey towards an MFE Program and after a bit of preliminary research I have come to my first major roadblock. I graduated from a top tier US University with BS in Economics but didn't have the best marks in some of my upper level math classes (C+ Calc I,II/ B- Linear Algebra). I graduated almost 5 years ago and in the meantime I have gained quality work experience in Treasury Capital Markets and trading exposure on a hedge desk.

I am very confident that my Mathematical aptitude has come a long way since Undergrad but does anyone have advice on what would be the best way to demonstrate this growth to an admissions panel? Online classes are an obvious possible solution but will they hold weight? To what extent are my undergraduate marks from 5 years ago going to outweigh (or not outweigh) subsequent work programs and certifications?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Straightforward way to demonstrate it is to take the GRE Math subject test and score in the 90th percentile range...tho I think that is kinda overkill.

Also, take upper division classes (like Real Analysis, Numerical Methods, ODE, Stochastic Processes, etc) as non-degree-seeking student. Get good grades in those classes and ask for LoRs from those instructors.

Btw, I don't think Calc I/II are upper level lol

Last edited:
Straightforward way to demonstrate it is to take the GRE Math subject test and score in the 90th percentile range...tho I think that is kinda overkill.

Also, take upper division classes (like Real Analysis, Numerical Methods, ODE, Stochastic Processes, etc) as non-degree-seeking student. Get good grades in those classes and ask for LoRs from those instructors.

Btw, I don't think Calc I/II are upper level lol
Good post.

"Calculus" is a bit like learning (very important) methods and tricks but "analysis" teaches analytical thinking. There is a difference.

Last edited:
Back