• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE from Business Undergrad

Hi all,
I'm a graduating senior in undergrad at a target school majoring in Finance and getting minors in Math and Computer Science. I'm planning on going to graduate school for a terminal Master's degree next year primarily for personal reasons. I've been able to secure an internship in trading (my intended career path) for the summer to bridge the gap until I complete another 1-1.5 years of school. I'd prefer to enter a competitive MFE program, but am worried about my chances given my non-STEM major. Should I feel comfortable that I'll get in to a top 20 or so program? If not, should I look for other options such as a regular Masters of Finance?

Here's a bit on my background -
GPA - 3.9+
Math - Up through Calc 3, ordinary dif. eqs., linear algebra, probability and basic statistics
CS - 6 intensive courses, vast majority of experience in Java with a bit of experience in Python
One summer interning at boutique IB, other interning at non-finance non-profit

Long story short, I'm worried about lacking specific math (real analysis, pdes) or programming (C++) coursework from limiting my chances in admissions. Thanks in advance for any and all advice

You're probably in good shape, depending on the sophistication of your probability class. Calculus based probability is important. w/ CS minor, you should be in good shape, even without the C++. There's a good course on here most programs honor. Assuming you bang out the apps and get 165+ on the GRE quant (assuming US educated - need 170 most likely if international), then I would really hit "A Practical Guide to Quant Interviews" and Leet code. Hard. You'll be interviewing for internships in your first few weeks of the program, so you need to come in hot. Unless you go to UCB, which starts in March. Baruch has solid prep courses if you have time / capacity. Also consider ARPM bootcamp / marathon as a good primer before it starts.

Back