• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE Grad School Essay?

Both CMU and MIT ask in application for long term and short term career goals? How long in years is long term and how short is short term?

When I wrote mine, I used 6 months to 1 year as short term, and 3-5 years as long term, and 5+ as long long long term.

When I wrote mine, I used 6 months to 1 year as short term, and 3-5 years as long term, and 5+ as long long long term.

6 moth - 1 year after graduation from program or right after you had sent the application??

6 moth - 1 year after graduation from program or right after you had sent the application??

Depends on what your essay/context. I considered 6 month - 1 year after getting accepted (presumably), I know it doesn't make as much sense but I am a part time student so if I were to write after I graduate, it would be 3 years+, so the horizon is too far off.

Well i will be going full time in Fall 2012. So short term will be 2-3 years after graduation and long term 7-10 years after the graduation?

Andy your comments are welcome as you have a lot of knowledge in this area

i was always taught short term is first three to five years, long term is seven to ten years out.

absolutely.

and i should have been more explicit...short term includes graduation up through three to five years, not just what you want to be doing three years out. in other words, you should basically say where you want to start after graduation and why. at a BB, vp will generally come two to three years after associate entry anyways.

This is simple. We should not be using numbers.

Short term: Starting position.

Long term: After advancement/promotion/job change.

Back