• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE programs w/ good finance education?

Hi, since my previous experiences are mostly focused on engineering, I probably need a program with good finance exposure and education. Which program, among Cornell MFE, Columbia MFEngineering, CMU MSCF, UChicago MathFin, NYU MathFin, would be better? Also, if I want to be a quant trader in future, do I need good finance knowledge? For quant researcher this might not be very necessary but I'm not sure for trading roles. Thanks!

I don’t know much on Cornell’s program so I’m going to exclude it. I broke my rankings into 2 based off finance core courses and finance elective courses.

Core courses: (1) CMU, (2) Chicago, (3) NYU, (4) Columbia

Elective courses: (1) NYU and Columbia, (2) Chicago, (3) CMU

I would add MIT MFin to your considerations. The program seems to be designed with someone like you in mind.

Finance is part of their core.

I can't speak to quant trading, but it's useful for scaling fundamental equity and credit forecasts.

It also becomes important should you have the misfortune to become a manager at some point in your career with budget responsibility.

Back