• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE MFin@MIT vs MAFN@Columbia

MFin or MAFN

• MFin

Votes: 49 57.0%
  • MAFN

Votes: 37 43.0%

• Total voters

xpl

Hi everyone, recently I got admissions from these two programs. The deadline for deposit to Columbia is approaching and I can't decide between them. I want to be a quant in sell side after graduation, so Columbia's location is great. And compared to MIT's program, it has more quantitative finance courses. However, I read other threads and know that MAFN's employment rate is not that good. For MIT, it has great branding and better career service than Columbia, but the course schedule is not that quantitative.
Any idea or suggestion? Thanks.

Hi everyone, recently I got admissions from these two programs. The deadline for deposit to Columbia is approaching and I can't decide between them. I want to be a quant in sell side after graduation, so Columbia's location is great. And compared to MIT's program, it has more quantitative finance courses. However, I read other threads and know that MAFN's employment rate is not that good. For MIT, it has great branding and better career service than Columbia, but the course schedule is not that quantitative.
Any idea or suggestion? Thanks.
What’s the difference in tuition. And what’s your status as in citizen, resident or foreign visa holder

What’s the difference in tuition. And what’s your status as in citizen, resident or foreign visa holder
Hi, I’m an international student, so I hold F1 visa. And for tuition, MIT is above 100k for 18m program, and MAFN is around 70k I guess? But tuition is not the deciding factor to me.

Hi, I’m an international student, so I hold F1 visa. And for tuition, MIT is above 100k for 18m program, and MAFN is around 70k I guess? But tuition is not the deciding factor to me.
Mafn has a very rigorous curriculum which would be great if you want to be a quantitative researcher. Mit mfin is not so quant focused but you could choose to take classes to focus more on what you want. What career do you wish to pursue.

Mafn has a very rigorous curriculum which would be great if you want to be a quantitative researcher. Mit mfin is not so quant focused but you could choose to take classes to focus more on what you want. What career do you wish to pursue.
I really want to be a quantitative researcher. And that’s the reason that I can’t decide between them. I feel like maybe it’s harder for students in Boston to recruit such position in NYC’s big bank than students in NY, because there are many other great FE programs located in NY as well.

I really want to be a quantitative researcher. And that’s the reason that I can’t decide between them. I feel like maybe it’s harder for students in Boston to recruit such position in NYC’s big bank than students in NY, because there are many other great FE programs located in NY as well.
Mafn’s Curriculum is much better for quant researchers and I would recommend you go there if that’s what you wish to pursue

My brother did his masters at Columbia. The problem with MAFN is that there is this bunch of electives, some classes are large, some others not so much. But then there are students that choose all the easiest possible electives just to pass and have an easy time and those who choose the most hardcore ones and are eager to learn.

So an MAFN alumni can be a really smart guy that ir ready to do everything or a guy that can't do anything. Doing research of which electives/lecturers are good is important.

My brother did his masters at Columbia. The problem with MAFN is that there is this bunch of electives, some classes are large, some others not so much. But then there are students that choose all the easiest possible electives just to pass and have an easy time and those who choose the most hardcore ones and are eager to learn.

So an MAFN alumni can be a really smart guy that ir ready to do everything or a guy that can't do anything. Doing research of which electives/lecturers are good is important.

Thanks for your share! I really do think there are many useful electives in Columbia. And do you mind to share more opinions about MAFN’s employment?

For those who choose MIT in the vote, can you please share your reason to choose MIT? Thx a lot!!

Mafn’s Curriculum is much better for quant researchers and I would recommend you go there if that’s what you wish to pursue

Agreed - between the stronger quant courses curriculum and the greater access to NYC, seems like MAFN makes a lot of sense for you. Easier to network and apply for quant roles from there. Well done getting into both of these.

Quant Employers have an easier time understanding the Mafn Curriculum. Going the MFIN route can work, but you will have to 'market' the MFIN degree as well as yourself to quant employers, to convince them you have learn enough quant skills at MFIN. You can focus employer conversations on YOU coming out of Mafn - curriculum speaks for itself.

Agreed - between the stronger quant courses curriculum and the greater access to NYC, seems like MAFN makes a lot of sense for you. Easier to network and apply for quant roles from there. Well done getting into both of these.

Thank you. And also I’ m concerned about competing with other great fe programs in nyc if I choose MAFN. Do you have any comment on that?

Actually I don't think MAFN curriculums would make such a big difference. The recruiting season for BB quant positions is the first semester in your first year (usually October and November), and you don't even take many courses. So actually people are competing with their previous knowledge about math finance and previous internship experience. Remember you would compete with students from CMU MSCF, Baruch, Columbia MFE, NYU MathFin and Cornell MFE. If you go to MIT Mfin and apply for jobs (s&t, quant or other positions) in HK or mainland China, not enough people can compete with you.

Actually I don't think MAFN curriculums would make such a big difference. The recruiting season for BB quant positions is the first semester in your first year (usually October and November), and you don't even take many courses. So actually people are competing with their previous knowledge about math finance and previous internship experience. Remember you would compete with students from CMU MSCF, Baruch, Columbia MFE, NYU MathFin and Cornell MFE. If you go to MIT Mfin and apply for jobs (s&t, quant or other positions) in HK or mainland China, not enough people can compete with you.
That's not true in general now. HRs in Asia are much more familiar with the top quant programs in US. They do know Baruch is a good program so it's totally different from years ago when a master program's brand name can give you a boost. TO DATE, QUALITY IS IMPORTANT.

That's not true in general now. HRs in Asia are much more familiar with the top quant programs in US. They do know Baruch is a good program so it's totally different from years ago when a master program's brand name can give you a boost. TO DATE, QUALITY IS IMPORTANT.
Even if they are much more familiar with the top quant programs in US, there are still a number of HRs considering brand. He/she just needs to get one job among a portion of banks that favors MIT and gives his/her interviews. Actually I do believe brand name is still very important in HK and mainland China.

Both are very good options, but I'd give the nod to Columbia. I think there's a big advantage to working in NYC at some point in your career if you are interested in Finance - and it's a lot easier to get a job in NY Finance from Columbia than from MIT - spending fridays on desks, attending events, setting up your own meetings, doing interviews etc

Based on your career goal, Columbia is definitely what you want to go. Location and the opportunities to network.

Back